Hot Dog Saw Tested on Finger

Uh, lawnmowers DO have a dead-man's switch.

Reply to
HeyBub

:

You bring up good points, no doubt. Please note that I said he's a good businessman, not a great one, and certainly no saint...even saints aren't saints these days. ;) I agree that a guy that wasn't a dick just after money would donate a few dozen units to high school shop programs in carefully selected areas. Leverage the PR and get people talking about them.

As far as the liability thing, it's really no different than car airbags. And as far as the who's-going-to-pay-for-this if it's legislated in...hell, the jokers we have in office now - on both sides (why are there only two?) - don't seem to understand that there's always a bill at the end of the meal. Maybe that's the problem - they're so far removed from things that they don't see the bill and it's not their money in the first place.

RicodJour

i don't think the sales propaganda was part of the OP. And if you're gonna bypass the safety, then why have it? My point exactly. Worthless.

Reply to
Steve Barker

yes, and if i had to disengage my mower every time i stopped to pickup trash or move an item, my clutch would be toast. That is the first item to be by-passed when i buy one. The second item is that tree destroying ROPS. Gotta use your head to run machinery.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I'd be willing to bet, no woodworker worth his salt would have one of these pieces of shit in their shop.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The first thing I by-passed was the engine cutoff under the seat.

Gotta use your head to run machinery

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Uh, perceptive readers would have realized that is exactly what the poster was saying.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Well, I'd take your money, but I didn't see you put up any cash, sailors are worth their salt, not woodworkers, and it's interesting that you, with no firsthand experience, just a mouth and an opinion, know all about what every woodworker would have in their shop. I'll tell you what - why don't you post your list of the tools in your shop and we can have all of the other manufacturer's just close their doors so people won't waste their money buying them. Will that suit you?

If, by the remotest chance, you'd like to learn instead of just spouting an opinion based on your imagination, remember to read then post. The order is important.

's a review aggregation site and they don't make an opinion, they just report what others' have written. Silly publications like Fine Woodworking, American Woodworker, etc., etc. seem to like the SawStop just fine. I'm sure they'd appreciate you posting your opinion on why the saw is a POS and how you arrived at that conclusion. Everyone needs a laugh now and again. Thanks.

RicodJour

The school wouldn't be able to afford the replacement parts, since the kids would be sure to at least do the hotdog test.

Reply to
Bob F

Oh, please. Make up your mind. You complain about being spoon fed safety, then when you find out that you're not being spoon fed you complain about the spoon being missing.

"Sales propaganda"...you have learned well. If someone agrees with your opinion, they're offering up hard facts, but when the opinion is counter to your own it's sales propaganda. That seems totally fair and unbiased to me.

You are right on one thing - yay! - Red's initial post didn't include sales propaganda because he was just mentioning he saw the SawStop on a TV show. Then you replied with "it's a worthless item" - which is curious as that comment _is_ sales propaganda - negative propaganda apparently to prevent people from buying a SawStop. Why would that be? You've never touched one, right? You didn't even bother to find out about how it works with green wood. Didn't even know the brake could be deactivated. Then you chime in with some BS about down time, lost labor, the expense of the cartridge and ruined blade, etc. You know - blowing smoke.

You do realize that the alternative is someone losing a finger. I'd appreciate your analysis of how much down time and lost labor there'd be if someone loses a finger in the shop. Please also factor in what a lost finger does to an employer's workmens comp premium, and what effect it will have on the workshop's other employees' productivity.

If you can't be bothered to be unbiased and at least try to factor in all of the variables, just call me some names and we'll call it a day.

RicodJour

kicking our ass? where? if it wasn't for mass media hysteria, nobody would give a shit.

More people die on U.S. roads every week than the terrorists have killed in a decade.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

You're *wrong*. It's a good saw, just not worth the >2X price of an equivalent. They're selling far better than the similarly priced "New" Delta Unisaw, which is also a fine saw but way out of line.

Reply to
keith

From what I understand the SawStop also has a very good dust collection system, and has other well thought out features. I've never had my hands on one, but in general I've found Fine Woodworking reviews to be reliable, and they liked it.

I'd have to check out the saw to see if the other features would make double the price more agreeable. Since a table saw is such a major shop investment an extra thousand or so isn't all that much. Think of what people spend on cars and toys. They'll blow far more than an extra thousand and not think twice.

RicodJour

On top of that, the saw is a damn fine piece of machinery.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Guess again.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hasn't that happened in England already? I mean, about knives and scissors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As long as they don't ban grinders, we'll do fine.

At work a few years ago, they banned opening the windows, both because the POS HVAC system kept getting confused, and because the windows were worn-out junk that had a habit of falling on people's fingers. They even screwed some shut, in the wings and floors with the worst windows.

I happened to work on one of those floors. We were the techs who did the computer stuff for the building. We all had tools. When they came around and screwed them shut, we all shrugged and said 'whatever'. Within a week, every last screw had vanished. It took the powers that be a couple tries of replacing them before reality sank in.

(and yes, for the windows that kept falling down, we fabricated sticks.)

Reply to
aemeijers

I've looked them over (several times) at WoodCraft, and such. No doubt, it's a fine saw. It was over twice the price of my Unisaw (two wings + Biesemeyer), last year. No, it wasn't worth that much more.

It was more like $2000 more than my Unisaw. You can rationalize your way into the poor house that way.

Don't get me wrong, I could have found a way to find the extra $1800-$2000, if I *had* to, but I didn't. The Unisaw is a good saw, and if I didn't get the deal on the Unisaw I would have bought a Grizz for a couple of hundred less still.

BTW, our vehicles are a 2000 Sable and a 2001 Ranger. ;-)

Reply to
krw

RicodJour wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com:

You got that right!!!

Reply to
Red Green

I wonder what percentage of lawnmowers with deadman switches have not had them bypassed or disabled? A few exotic magnets took care of mine the first time I fired it up, and within a week I dug up a big cable tie to immobilize that silly rear skirt so I could pull the mower backwards. (How can you mow under stuff without pulling it backwards? Idiots.)

My changes will take 30 seconds to reverse once it comes time to sell or junk the mower.

Reply to
aemeijers