Hooray for Mom&Pop

I'd stopped going to my local ACE Hardware because the clerks tend to hover and follow you around.

But, when the bracket for a drawer-guide broke, I decided to give them a shot.

I walked in with glide in hand, found the nearest "red vest", and said.."I need to fix this"

He didn't even flinch ! Led me to the right rack in the right aisle. Picked a unit off the hook... "Here's a universal replacement"

PERFECT ! A one-stop solution. Saved lots of drivng, searching, and frustration.

( they still hover..... )

Reply to
Anonymous

It is a fine line between being there to help, or to make you feel you are being watched so you don't shoplift.

Some days I like to browse and take my time deciding on the 29¢ blue widget or the $2 chrome one. Today, I went to Staples and a sales person offered to help. I knew exactly what I wanted but was not sure where they were. I was out of the store in two minutes with my items, two of which were on closeout that he pointed out to me.

He also gave me a good tip. While walking to the front of the store, I mentioned that I bought five 4 line phones last week, but two had to be returned as defective. Not a good track record. He suggested buying a service policy for $10, then I could return any one of the phones in the next year. That was a good deal.

The phones are in our temporary offices though, and I certainly hope we are back in a few weeks. This is why we had to move

Edwin Pawlowski

Our local ACE hardware affiliate has employees that crack jokes behind your back when you refuse to interact with them.

I go to Home Depot now, and shop in peace. If I want my hand held I'll ask for it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Around here I go to Ace if I need help. HD is cheaper but the help is clueless.

Reply to
tom