Home Wiring

Need some advice on wiring? 1 ceiling fan with light kit installed as per instructions, solid. 2 switches at different locations in the kitchen that operate the fan on/off. PROBLEM: The light kit does not work. Some more info, as stated earlier, both switches operate the on/off function of the fan. I would like to use one of the switches to operate just the light. QUESTION: Obviously a wiring problem? Do I start at the fan or the switches, then what?

Thanks for your wisdom and expertice.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

When the you installed them fan light there should have been a white, a green or bare for ground and 2 colored wires. One wire is for the fan and one is for the light. Your situation you have some choices. If you do not mind the light not coming on and you are willing to use the pull chain, just connect the both colored wires to the feed wire. If you want separate controls you need to fish more wire, cut in two larger boxes and on and on. Or go to the home store and buy a remote control unit. Then you will have fan control and light control. I have them installed on all of the fans in my home. Just leave the wall switches on. Have fun hint the ~40 bucks for the remote will be allot easier than the wiring method.

Reply to
SQLit

Start by calling an electrician or a friend/family menber who KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Why??? You don't understand a very basic electrical setup, a 3-way switch. Do not pass go, do not hurt yourself of start a fire.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Brian:

B > Need some advice on wiring? 1 ceiling fan with light kit installed as B > per instructions, solid. 2 switches at different locations in the B > kitchen that operate the fan on/off. PROBLEM: The light kit does not B > work. Some more info, as stated earlier, both switches operate the B > on/off function of the fan. I would like to use one of the switches B > to operate just the light. QUESTION: Obviously a wiring problem? Do B > I start at the fan or the switches, then what?

The two switches are probably a three-way switch: one is on one side of the kitchen and the other at the other. Can turn on and off either location, right?

What you probably did was just wire the ceiling fan's electrical to the wire from the old light -- black to black, white to white. There is usually another wire (blue?) for the light kit. This blue wire needs to be connected to the black wires, and the light kit's white wire to the other two white wires. The light (and fan) should now work.

Still have a problem: the whole unit goes on and off with the wall switches. It's probably easier to 'live with it' unless you want to run another wire run, and if you're going to do that may as well install another three-way switch; heck: go for a three-way dimmer for the light!

So, as another poster indicated, either use the fan unit's pull chains to control the fan and light individually or get a remote kit. There may be remote kits at x10.com, smarthome.com, which may do what you want: have control at either entrance (wall switch). May be cheaper to buy a second remote transmitter, one for each side of the kitchen.

B > Thanks for your wisdom and expertice.

Aw, shucks!

  • Useless Invention: Waterproof toilet paper.
Reply to
barry martin