Home Phone Wiring Repair

So you have one problem with FiOS and then condemn it? In my opinion, you're an idiot!

FiOS service is absolutely awesome. Literally millions of people would trade their crappy slow copper line for FiOS.

Reply to
Buster

I read newsgroups for a reason. If I had no real life and could spend ALL my time on the internet, I might spend it googling the web all day long. And when I have dialup it would take all day.

If somene posts to these newsgroups, it would only make sense to put the FULL WORDING for initials on the topic at least once. Just common courtesy. We live in a world with far too many initials, and only people in that business understand them.

Reply to
Paintedcow

My phone service has a box on the outside of the house which has a plug just like the plug in phone jacks. I'm assuming this is what it is.

If my phone is not working, I pop off that cover, unplug the whole house, and plug a (known to work) phone directly into that box. If that fixes it, then I know the problem is in my house. Otherwise I call the phone company and it's their job to fix it at no cost to me.

Reply to
Paintedcow

You need to join my group: CRAP!

That's Curmudgeons Resisting Acronym Propagation. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I thought it was Curmudgeons Resisting Acronym Proliferation.

Weren't the SALT (Silly Assed Language Teasers) talks supposed to stop this?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Hey!.... It's my group!! (although "Proliferation" works jes fine)

I certainly hope not. What else does usenet have!? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Where do you think they get money? Of course it costs you, averaged out with a lot of other subscribers. No free lunch, my friend.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Oddly, AT&T is suddenly going gangbusters on FTTH while Verizon was not wanting to expand FIOS to new areas. Now apparently Verizon has had a change of heart, probably due to Google and AT&T doing FTTH.

Reply to
sms

And the red and yellow, and the green and yellow.

Reply to
Micky

I talked to my company, Century Link and they have no immediate plans to put FiOS in my area. They tuned up the copper and put more DSL hubs in so we are getting 10 meg and they sell it as TV and Internet along with POTS. I think they can double up on the copper and get it up to

20 meg.
Reply to
gfretwell

ATT just finished "upgrading" (haha) our area to 6Mb/1Mb U-Verse. The fact that they bought Directv says they know their own network capacity sucks and can't handle TV/video.

Thankfully I live in Comcast country and can get their 120Mb/20Mb service.

Reply to
GOWGN

It doesn't take all day to figure out what NID or similar means. Just to prove it, I just opened a new window, typed "NID phone" and a whole bunch of hits with the answer was listed. Took less than 10 secs and the words Network Inteface Device were there. It would take a couple of mins more if you wanted to click on one or two for more information.

Reply to
trader_4

In my neighborhood, AT&T offers 1Gb/s service for $70 per month, if you agree to let them spy on you. That includes the modem and no charge for installation.

Comcast just ran fiber to the pole in my neighborhood, but the drop from the fiber hub to the house is still coax. They say that they will be offering 1Gb/s service as well. For now, they have reduced their offerings to either 25Mb/s (1 channel) or 100Mb/s (four channels), but it's really about 30Mb/s or 120Mb/s. I had two-channel 50Mb/s which was really about 59Mb/s.

I can't see paying for 1Gb/s service since there's really no upside. Even 50Mb/s is more than most any house needs unless you're watching multiple 4K video streams.

Reply to
sms
[snip]

IF the test was done with the house wiring disconnected, to make sure it isn't causing the problem.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Some people appear to be "naturally" helpless, and won't try a simple, fast thing to get the information, but will have to use the more complicated, slower method of asking and waiting for a possible answer (that's likely to not be as good).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The OP is long gone. He has figured out it is not his problem. The DSL works and there is no dial tone at that spot. That means the wiring is working. If it was shorted, it would ring busy and if it was open, the DSL would not work.

He is where Verison is on strike so I suspect those good old boy, union workers, sabotaged the CO on their way out. Management or the scabs should be able to fix the problem tho. These days it might just be a keyboard trick.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

I saw one ad (for 1Gb/s internet) that said you could download a movie in less than a minute. Maybe some people are in that much of a hurry to watch a movie.

Lat year, I got a cable internet upgrade from 15Mb/s to 50Mb/s, requiring a new modem (considering that a TV channel is limited to somewhere around 36Kb/s, and I needed DOCSIS3, which can use more than one channel). They have higher speeds, but 50Mb/s still seems fast.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Phone companies put the NID outdoors to make service easier.

their techs confirm the phone is working at the NID, and its the customers hassle after that.

Reply to
bob haller

well lets see. you have a noisey phone line for many months. When I called verizon their reps ALL said its your interior wiring. Even after 3 techs visited and reported reproduced problem with home totally disconnected.

after just 3 months my FIOS install had a battery failure, new batterys about 50 bucks and fight with verizon that there bshould be a warranty on the battery. After all te install was just a few months old.

I still had my business line on copper. a outgoing call package cost 35 bucks a months. so i called to cancel the outgoing call package since i was making all calls with my cell phone

THEY CANCELLED MY BUSINESS LINE TWICE! My sole income:(

the first time they fixed in in just a hour/////

The second time it took 4 days to get it fixed again:(

the phone techs you call werre abusive and not helpful. Go thru all those automated attendants to finally get thru but get this message:(

all reps are busy now please try your call again goodbye. system hangs up on customer

verixon deserves no customers

Reply to
bob haller
[snip]

I suggested a PARTIAL short or open, that passes some frequencies but not others. It responds differently to phone (up to about 3KHz) and DSL (10KHz and up).

That sounds likely.

BTW, I had Verizon phone for a few years, then switched to cable (Suddenlink) because of the consistently poor quality lines.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd