Home Phone Wiring Repair

Sez you. Bad assumption.

I've had internet service w/ no dial tone. And it was on my part of the line. Bad RJ11 union, as I've stated B4 in this thread. So, it was, in fact, MY problem. Which I fixed. neener neener..... ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

home number from my cell I hear ringing, but the phones in the house don't ring.

o replace all the DSL filters one by one. But could they all 5 go dead at o nce? Could a surge go through the

ring machine untouched? I don't think so.

line is in the basement and terminates on a lighting block arrestor. Two m aroon solenoids on the sides with

ncoming wire posts and connected a phone. No dial tone.

I just ran the test by connecting the incoming wires ONLY to the 4 prong ja ck, red and green wires, then plugged in the rj11 jack and the phone by rj1

1 cord. No dial tone, no lights, D.E.A.D. So it's not my problem. It could be strike related, I might wait until the strike is over and see what happe ns. My diagnostic work is done. Thanks and kudos to all. THIS is tech suppo rt!
Reply to
upperbuxsmog

It depends on where you live Verison is the dial tone provider in lots of places. There is no "Ma Bell" anymore here and most former RBOC phone companies have abandoned the name.

Reply to
gfretwell

Now if only someone would explain what a NID is .. .. .. ..

Reply to
Paintedcow

OK, whoevewr operates the central office is responsible for the dial tone. Getting it to you may be the responsibility of a third party depending where youl live. Makes for a real "pass the buck cluster----."

Reply to
clare

He had no dial tone WHERE IT ENTERED THE HOUSE. So it;s his phone provider's problem (bell or whoever) Dial tone and internet connection are two totally different issues, although with a cut or shorted wire he won't get either one. (someone put a shovel or stake through the cable)

Reply to
clare

You wanna be right. Fine. You win. But, remember: I had NO DIAL TONE "WHERE IT ENTERED THE HOUSE"!

Where it enters one's house is NOT the PA. The PA (point-of-access) is where the point of demarcation is. It could be an NID or something else. The point of demarcation is where the phone company's responsibility ends and yers begins. It is often called the PA. It could be an NID, a cable, or a single twisted pair. Whatever. Argue with the OP. 8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

Check for dial tone and service in the service connection box on the outside of your house.

Unscrew/open the outer user-accessible door and plug in a known good plain phone (no batteries or separate power connection required).

No signal there? It's the carrier's problem. Got a signal? it's your problem.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I've never heard it called a PA, never heard the term before.

He said he has no NID.

The OP is at the phone line where it enters the house. Sounds like he's at the point where the phone company's responsibility ends and his begins, so IDK what you're point is.

Reply to
trader_4

Have you heard of the internet?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Also called an NID (network interface device) or a PA (point-of-access).

"user-accessible" side requires a flat-blade screwdriver to open. The carrier's side (yer ISP) requires a security TORX driver.

Gee, I've been saying the same thing, all morning. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I guess you missed the part where the OP said it's an older home and there is no NID.

Reply to
trader_4

I guess you missed the part where I keep referring to the point of demarcation or PA (point-of-access) cuz the OP sed he doesn't have an NID. Duh.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I guess you missed the part where in his very first post it was clear to everyone but you that the OP was essentially there. He said he was testing at the wire where it enters the building. And they don't put a big flag, a sign, or any other marking on the wiring going into his old house that says "DEMARCATION HERE".

He's at the point where it enters the building. He has no dial tone. Time to call the phone company, that's what he's paying for.

Reply to
trader_4

I guess everyone missed every thing about this thread.

But, it did light up the board for a while.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So you claim the point of demarkation or point of access esn't where it enters the house??? Fine but now you are picking at straws just to have something to dissagree with.

Reply to
clare

And generally NOT on the outside of the house adoung here. Usually in (a) the basement (B) the garage, or (c) the "service closet" where the electrical service etc enters the home

This MAY vary by location - being outside on the service post in trailer parks etc.

Reply to
clare

Since you don't know how to use Google or any other search engone, a NID is a "network interface device" which generally speaking os a bod with an RJ type jack on the line side and an RJ type plug on the user side which plugs in to connect the house to the line and allows you to plug a phone i n directly to the line, isolating the home wiring for troubleshooting purposes.

Reply to
clare

NETWORK INTERFACE DEVICE. makes troubleshhoting a breeze

Reply to
bob haller

well verizon should install a NID for free.......

EXCEPT if your in a FIOS served area..

My great aunts phone quit working so I went over to take a look.

NO NID:( phone line dead.

main drop cable cracked we had a lot of rain.

the phone tech showed up and said he would install FIOS.

my aunt had no interest in fios anything.

So i told the tech no problem she doesnt want FIOS. since I had a 3 month misery trying to get mine working. I KID YOU NOT IT WAS FINALLY TRACED TO A BAD ROUTER IN THE CO.

I said please just replace the copper drop. he reported he isnt allowed to do that.......

he got on the phone and argued with his boss who said FIOS only.

I got on the phone with the techs boss, I said please give me your name or ID number, teresa is going to straightalk today but we will send the president of verizon your name and id. so management knows why you lost another customer.....

the replacement copper line was replaced, and her phone is still working fine, years later.

verizon road techs are awesome, their phone support sucks.

i had so much fios hassles i demanded they remove my unused copper drop and all the fios garbage. they refused so i threatened to put a large banner in my yard VERIZON FIOS SUCKS.

They removed everything

Reply to
bob haller