Home Depot house paint sux big time!!

My choice to pick my mis-appropriate term; your choice to criticize, ... If it were to be totally the "correct" word in some sense, what would be the point in choosing the wrong one?

Do you ever smile over _anything_ or do you simply look for stuff to pick on to show your superiority???

Reply to
dpb

How much more abuse does an exterior of a rental get than an exterior of an owner occupied house?

Reply to
willshak

I have a commercial property that gets tag about once a week or once a month. Not saying owner occupied properties don't get tag but don't see it as much as the rental units like store fronts or apartments.

Reply to
** Frank **
** Frank ** wrote: ...

That's probably more a result of where the property is located rather than whether it is owned or rental...

--

Reply to
dpb

I owe the same note amount I did 12 years ago. :-))

You kill me sometimes!

-- Oren

Oren

"** Frank **" wrote

Maintaining rentals

We have vacation rentals. We use top of the line on everything, but then, we get up to 5x the note for a month of rentals. Slightly different than the average rental.

Hundreds of gallons? Must be pretty thick by now.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

-- Do you ever smile over _anything_ or do you simply look for stuff to pick on to show your superiority???

I guess you didn't get any part of my joke. Neither of my posts wern't meant as criticism and I'm sorry if that impression came through.

Appendages stick out...the other body part doesn't, thus my attempt at humor, not criticism.

Once again, I'm sorry you took my posts the wrong way, and I say that with a smile on face, the same smile I had on when I posted earlier.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, if that weren't the case, it wouldn't have been a malapropism...

And yes, if you somehow meant either of the previous replies as being other than critical, I certainly missed it...

--

Reply to
dpb

I've never understood why people are so willing to pay $40 bucks a gallon for Ben Moore paint. I've had mediocre results with it, both interior and exterior.

About 10 years ago, I painted 2 west-facing windows. I finished a can of BM high gloss latex on one window, and bought a can of Behr high gloss latex for the other. The latter stood up much better to the elements. Both windows were prepped identically.

I think it is all about BM Co. marketing and creating a botique image for their paint. There's nothing special about it.

My only complaint about Behr paint is that their colors suck. Lowes has much better color collections.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

You must not be a landlord to ask that question.

How about the simple and common practice of bouncing footballs/baseballs/basketballs against the house walls?

"Hey, that's what my security deposit is for, right"?

Doug

Reply to
Doug

As a landlord, still at an accelerated rate, though not as bad as the interior.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Funny. For a whole house, typical for me is 15 gallons for interior and 15 gallons for exterior. One rental took about 25 gallons just on the interior. I use a commercial airless for speed so may not be as economical (paint wise) as someone using a brush.

Reply to
** Frank **

I have couple of units where the tenant put 3" nails on the facial all around the exterior of the house for Christmas lights - pull nails out, patch and repaint. One put holes around all the windows into the stucco - patch and repaint. One lost his keys (tenant's kid) and decided he had to pee on my exterior wall. Another one show off with his cars, cash, guns and jewelry so he was robbed (home intrusion) and I ended up repairing the broken front door and frame - painted one side of the exterior wall to match. The same tenant with the fancy cars hide his money and guns in interior walls and when he left, open walls and damaged structure had to be replaced and painted ... sorry, that's interior.

Reply to
** Frank **

Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

The positive side is seeing property values double every seven years with the tenants paying a good part of the mortgage and the huge run up we had couple years ago before the market down turn. Income, shelter, leverage and of course you could deduct all your construction toys, I mean tools. When you get sick of the tenants and trash, occupy it 2 out of 5 years, and claim a huge $250k (or $500k if married) tax exemption on your gain ... sweet.

Reply to
** Frank **

If the numbers work; why not?

I had two occupied rentals; double in price (recent bubble), so when the lease was up they were sold. Oh, no more tenants :) All in 18 - 24 months.

I moved across town and got us a single floor home :)

-- Oren

Oren

Maybe, maybe not... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Not in today's market! :-\\

-- Oren

"equal opportunity, not equal results"

Reply to
Oren

Not in today's market if purchased high and flip now, but the above is my long term investment average since 1975 including markets like today's. Doubling every seven years translates to about 10% average appreciation which is no big deal until you factor leverage into it. I think the national average is around 8% long term.

If you want to do this well in today's market right now, look into commercial properties which is not in lockstep with the residential downturn. It also has a better positive cash flow than single family units.

Reply to
** Frank **

Many things affect the market, Oren, and region is one of them. Last year, Las Vegas was projected to run out of buildable land in the valley. If you can hold out, things should start to pick up again here next year, ratchet up for five more, then zoom when land fizzles out in Vegas.

We had our houses for sale, but now plan to continue using them as vacation rentals, and enjoy the cash flow until the market either picks up enough to get our price, or really starts jumping more than 8% per year in valuations. Now we're going to hire a resident manager, and just sit on them. Houses near Harmon and Sandhill.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB