Home appliance cost in hours

There are other jobs. And even if you're on unemployment, you're benefitting by the cost of food, clothing, cars, almost everything bought, being substantially lower due to automation.

Ridiculous example because there are lots of jobs that can't be done today or anytime soon, by machine. Healthcare, service industry jobs, designing/building the automation eqpt, etc.

You let the free market work it out. And before you say that isn't available to all, there are plenty of people who started a cup cake shop, a cleaning business, etc that are making way more than any of those factory workers ever did.

Reply to
trader_4

Well, that's just wrong. There is a long history of automation radically decreasing the number of man hours it takes to do a job. Look at a modern 1000 acre farm for example. How many workers, how many hours did that take at the turn of the last century, compared to now? Digging ditches by hand before the backhoe? Building cars before robots assembled them, painted them, etc?

That is getting done and it's an excellent example of automation. How many telephone operators were put out of jobs by the Strowger switch? How many phone receptionists at companies were replaced by the PBX? IVR is the latest example. Some of them work extremely well. The electric company here for example, I can call to report an outage, give them a voice or text number to notify me back when power is restored, it gives me an estimate of when the power will be back on, all by machine. Decades ago, you spoke to someone, all they did was take the info.

It's the most basic process that has given us our high standard of living.

Reply to
trader_4

That's a factor in some cases, sure. But the larger driving force is that far less labor is needed today because of automation.

Reply to
trader_4

And I for one don't necessarily want to keep the same TV or kitchen appliance for 50 years. Fifty years ago, a window AC cost a hundred bucks, which would be what, $500 to $1000 in today's dollars? Now you can buy one for $150. Nor sure how long one lasts versus the other, but modern ones are quiet, lighter weight, look much nicer, etc. Even if it lasts half as long, I'm happy with the value proposition.

Reply to
trader_4

How do you figure? 80x7.25[*] = $580. I've not seen any 65" T.V.s for $580. The nationwide mean salary is circa $50,000 which is $2000 for two weeks. That might be enough to buy a nice 4k 65" TV, with little left over for living expenses.

[*] Federal minimum wage.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The toaster assembler may have to get additional training to

but the machines will design and build the new ones

Reply to
bob haller

Using the nationwide mean salary you are right. I was using my own wage difference from then to now. You can get a 65" for about $1100. No matter how you compare, you get a lot more TV today than you did 50 years ago, even 5 years ago.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Who has 11 appliances? I have 5. Stove, Refrig, Washer, Dryer, Microwave. That's it. (Unless a TV, Stereo, Radio, Toaster, Electric Frying pan, or Computer is considered an appliance... There are only 2 more appliances that I can think of, which I dont have. A Dishwasher and a Freezer. What else is there..... To make 11 of them???

Reply to
Paintedcow

But today those appliances have a lifetime of 5 years and back in 1959 they might keep running for 20 to 30 years.

Reply to
Steve Stone

Well, since an "appliance garage" is designed to house/hide small electrics and at least one definition of appliance reads "a device or piece of equipment designed to perform a specific task, typically a domestic one" the list can quite extensive.

Off the top of my head, I have at least 13:

Range Refrigerator Microwave Dishwasher Toaster Oven Crock Pot Stand Mixer Drip Coffee Pot Deep Fryer Blender Food Processor Juicer Coffee Grinder

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Whoops, I forgot the freezer in the garage and the fridge in the basement.

I also left the washer and dryer off of my list.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It depends of how do you define "appliance". Electric toothbrush? Toilet?

Reply to
Sam E

"He" obviously didn't read the article. That's the problem with trolls...

I suspect MOST people have a:

- washing machine

- dryer

- refrigerator

- stove

- vacuum cleaner

- color TV

Some may no longer have a toaster -- or, may have a toaster OVEN, instead. Or, a blender. I don't have a coffee maker cuz I drink tea (As Fr. Guido Sarducci would advertise: Mr Tea)

And, there may be some uncertainty over:

- dishwasher

- freezer

Reply to
Don Y

Well, I have 9 of the 11. I'd leave the TV off the list. That really isn't an appliance in my view. That would put the 1959 hours at 758 vs. the 2016 hours at 140. The 1959 worker had to work 5.4 times as many hours as the 2016 worker for about the same stuff. Others have mentioned how much more reliable the old stuff was. Not TVs. Tubes went out, the vertical and horizontal holds were sometimes finicky, and remote controls are better channel changers than kids. No microwave on the list. I thought they weren't invented until the 1960s but found out differently. An article here

talks about a man named Tracy Spencer. He dropped out of school at 12 but became an expert on radar tubes. He had a candy bar melt in his pocket at work so decided to investigate.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I dont consider a toaster, crock pot, elec frying pan, blender, elec can opener, and so on appliances. They're just kitchen gadgets.

I also dont consider tv, stereo, radio, or computer on that list, since they are entertainment. And definitely not the toilet...

In my opinion, appliances are large items that run on electricity or gas.

That would include

Stove Refrig Washer Dryer, Microwave Dishwasher Freezer And maybe Air Conditioner

Of course if we include the Air Cond, we may as well add a furnace to the list.

Reply to
Paintedcow

You may not consider them to be appliances, but most people do, including kitchen designers. DAGS for "appliance garage" and look at the images of what they are designed to store.

Take a look at what Target considers to be appliances:

Home Depot has a webpage for Small Appliances

You are not wrong by calling them "gadgets", but being a gadget doesn't preclude them from also being appliances. This website considers "kitchen appliances" to be a 'related phrase' in their definition of gadget.

DerbyDad03

Appliance:

  1. A device or piece of equipment designed to perform a specific task, typically a domestic one.

It's very broad. I consider a TV, stereo, window AC, etc to be appliances. Which is why there are shopping categories that narrow it down, like "kitchen appliances".

Reply to
trader_4

FWIW...

calls them counter-top appliances.

calls them small appliances.

And Team Bezos

calls them appliances as well.

So I guess PaintedCowPie is wrong again. ;-)

I offered that exact definition to Paint yesterday. It's up to him to accept or not.

Retailers call them appliances, as do manufacturers:

"Cuisinart continues to deliver premium countertop appliances that are truly multifunctional..."

I remember when stores like Macy's had a section for Small Electrics. Maybe they still do. If you DAGS _small electrics_ 99%+ of the hits use the word "appliance".

As I said, Paint can choose to accept that those devices are considered appliances or not. I do.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Samsung fridge service c enter in Delhi supply home repair service All over Delhi/NCR. we provi de Reapir home appliances service for fridge, washing machine, microwave su ch type of samsung items.we also provide 3 months warranty on all products. we are authorised service marketer call on 9811052330 Samsung fridge service center in Noida g ives 100% Satisfaction or fast service to our client.

Reply to
samsungservicecenter8569