Home again ...

You've just returned home from visiting with family for several days in another city several hours drive away . While you were gone , a severe cold front has come thru with sub-zero temps . What's the last thing you want to hear when you arrive home , turn the car motor off and open the car door ?

Running water .

Won't know the total damage until I assess in the morning , but right now the only running water in the house is in the main bathroom . I'm so glad I installed cutoffs to isolate the master bath and the kitchen . If I hadn't we'd likely be staying in the camper tonight . Our backup heat failed during our visit with our kids down in Memphis , due to a misunderstanding about where the spare key to the house was left for our neighbor . The backup has had a couple of pilot-going-out episodes recently , which I thought were due to the front door being left open (it's close to the heater) and the wind blowing it out . I was wrong , and it has bitten me upon the ass . I've known people that would hold the neighbor responsible , and friendships would be broken over this . Busted pipe are a material thing , and can be repaired (the neighbor wants to know what time to be here to help) but friendships are a precious thing , much more important than a busted pipe .

Reply to
Snag

It sounds like you have your priorities right. Accidents happen, of course. It sounds like the northeast U.S. is a terrible mess.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

We're in north central Arkansas , about 50 miles from Misery . My thermometer sez the lowest temp here was -3°F . We're kinda lucky it stayed below freezing until just a few hours before we got home . The water guy said he'd been down our road a couple of times yesterday morning looking for leaks and ours wasn't running at that time .

Reply to
Snag

Sorry to hear about your frozen pipe(s?). I waited to see how much damage there was before posting but I don't think you said. I hope it wasn't much.

That's a very nice thing to say, a very good way of looking at it.

I've assumed Snag was short for Snagglefoot, so I'm impressed that someone with that name would be so gracious.

Reply to
micky