High Humidity in the home

I have consistently high humidity levels, never falling below 85% in my new apartment. Today my dial reads 97%. It's bothering me because I also dry my clothes inside and they take a very long time to dry.

I rent the property. What shall I do?

Reply to
bornfree

Go troll another nesgroup perhaps?

Reply to
The Manin Dude

Try these, but not at the same time: * Open the windows. * Run the air conditioner. * Get a dehumidifier, which is essentially a small air conditioner that doesn't actually cool the room.

Reply to
SteveBell

Feeding the troll is a bad thing!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Dehumidfier?

Reply to
PeterL

First get a decent humidistat, 97% means it must be raining inside, electronic are usualy best or calibrate yours, get a dehumidifier. If it was never below 85% your walls furniture and clothes would be moldy smelling.

Reply to
ransley

Thank you

Reply to
bornfree

Why do you consider this to be a troll? If he lives in DC and doesn't have A/C 90% plus RH is entirely possible. (ask the inside of my garage, now equipped with a dehumidifier)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Not quite: There ARE some incredibly inept tenants!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There was a case in this city where one tenant of public housing was insisting on a move to another unit/area. Even went to the media complaining of problems including mould and that the Housing Authority would not act on his difficulties. An investigation made public a short while later showed that the tenant never ventilated, was drying clothes inside, all months to save electricity from operating their dryer; did not operate bathroom or kitchen fans or open windows! The tenant's unit was deteriorated whereas identical adjacent units built and renovated to the same schedule were in proper shape. There are no restrictions on drying clothes outside as we do; especially for heavy items such as towels, blankets etc. Cool today, about 46 F.

Reply to
terry

Where I live, its 99% outside most days, some days its 99% humidity for 24 hours a day. That doesn't mean its raining! It can be sunny not raining and still 99%. Indoors it varies from 23 to 75%.

Humidity indoors, is the result of our breathing and sweating,, we give out one and a half litres of water vapour every 24 hours and 350 ml of that is when we are regulating our temperature while in bed asleep.

Excess water vapour leads to mould on the walls, damp cold beds and in the long term ill health, spores emitted by the mould get into our chest and make us ill.

We put this water vapour in the air by breathing, sweating, drying clothes indoors, not running the ventilator while cooking and washing, not closing the kitchen and bathroom doors.

The simple solution is to open the windows for five minutes in the morning and evening.

If you don't want to let the place get cold by opening the windows, then buy a de-humidifier and keep it running 24 hours a day, after about two or three weeks the problem should be solved.

Just make sure that the de-humidifier can deal with the amount of water vapour you your family and animals are adding to the home every day.

A small active child or dog will add more water vapour to your home per 24 hours than you do.

Perry

Reply to
PerryOne

I have accurate humidistats and even in on rainy day cant achieve outside humidity inside and maybe only once near 93-95%, but only for awhile, to never go below 85 something doesnt add up if windows are left open.

Reply to
ransley