I have consistently high humidity levels, never falling below 85% in
my new apartment. Today my dial reads 97%.
It's bothering me because I also dry my clothes inside and they take a
very long time to dry.
I rent the property. What shall I do?
First get a decent humidistat, 97% means it must be raining inside,
electronic are usualy best or calibrate yours, get a dehumidifier. If
it was never below 85% your walls furniture and clothes would be moldy
Not quite: There ARE some incredibly inept tenants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There was a case in this city where one tenant of public housing was
insisting on a move to another unit/area.
Even went to the media complaining of problems including mould and
that the Housing Authority would not act on his difficulties.
An investigation made public a short while later showed that the
tenant never ventilated, was drying clothes inside, all months to save
electricity from operating their dryer; did not operate bathroom or
kitchen fans or open windows!
The tenant's unit was deteriorated whereas identical adjacent units
built and renovated to the same schedule were in proper shape.
There are no restrictions on drying clothes outside as we do;
especially for heavy items such as towels, blankets etc. Cool today,
about 46 F.
Where I live, its 99% outside most days, some days its 99% humidity
for 24 hours a day.
That doesn't mean its raining!
It can be sunny not raining and still 99%.
Indoors it varies from 23 to 75%.
Humidity indoors, is the result of our breathing and sweating,, we
give out one and a half litres of water vapour every 24 hours and 350
ml of that is when we are regulating our temperature while in bed
Excess water vapour leads to mould on the walls, damp cold beds and in
the long term ill health, spores emitted by the mould get into our
chest and make us ill.
We put this water vapour in the air by breathing, sweating, drying
clothes indoors, not running the ventilator while cooking and washing,
not closing the kitchen and bathroom doors.
The simple solution is to open the windows for five minutes in the
morning and evening.
If you don't want to let the place get cold by opening the windows,
then buy a de-humidifier and keep it running 24 hours a day, after
about two or three weeks the problem should be solved.
Just make sure that the de-humidifier can deal with the amount of
water vapour you your family and animals are adding to the home every
A small active child or dog will add more water vapour to your home
per 24 hours than you do.
I have accurate humidistats and even in on rainy day cant achieve
outside humidity inside and maybe only once near 93-95%, but only for
awhile, to never go below 85 something doesnt add up if windows are
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.