Help with Wiring

ok...pretty much a novice with wiring, but have managed to sucessfully replace several outlets and switches without incident until now....

What I have... in the bathroom... GFI certified outlet and two switches ...one to vent fan and one to light... they are separate switches not a double switch. I THOUGHT I put them back exactly as they were, but apparently not.... The outlet seems to work, but..... when you plug something in to it with the light on, the overhead light goes off and the switch has to be reset.

The switches look like this.... one switch has two black wires in holes in back and then one white wire is connected to the screw on the outside.... the white wire leads to the other switch only. The second switch has the aforementioned white wire and one black wire.... ANY ideas????

Reply to
Dina

It's only speculation as to what is in your box, but what I would expect is: white and black feed- white and black to the light- and white and black to the vent. As long as the vent is not located over the tub, it does not have to be protected through the GFCI outlet so you can connect the wires like this: connect all three white wires together with a pigtail to the neutral terminal of the GFCI outlet and make sure it's connected to the "line" side. The black hot wire should be pigtailed to one terminal of each switch and the hot "line" side of the GFCI outlet. The black to the light goes to the second terminal of one switch and the black of the vent goes to the second terminal of the other switch

Reply to
RBM