Help with programmable Thermostat

Just got the Honeyweel 8000 Pro installed. We have Central A/C and Furnace. 2 quick questions.

  1. I should go into the installer mode and set Changeover to Auto instead of Manual correct?

  1. Why is it that when you go program your schedules, there is a Heat and Cool temperature setting? I would think that you would want to set

1 temperature and the thermostat would try and keep your home at that point. Need some guidance here.

Thanks in advanace!

Reply to
affiliateian

Hi,

  1. If your system does heat and/or cool. I installed two of those. Think it this way. Cool down to, heat upto. I guess if it was on heat or cool mode only then you know what I mean. Good luck,
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Most people will set the temp cooler in the winter (heating) and warmer in the summer (cooling). For example, I have my normal temp set at 68 in the winter and 76 in the summer.

Sure it would be more comfortable to set it at, say, 72 year round, but it would be *way* more expensive.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

If I understand exactly what you are asking, here is my $.02-- Whether you want auto changeover or not is up to you. Some people want it and others do not. That is why there is the option to have it or not. It is mainly for Fall and Spring where it may be 50 deg in the morning, and 85 in the afternoon. Personally, in those conditions, I usually leave it OFF, or only heat a minimum amount in the morning, so that by afternoon the house is still cool enough to not have to use a/c That fairly slight loss of comfort can amount to substantial savings. As far as a serparate setting in the program for jeat and cool, most people want the heat setting considerably lower than the a/c setting. Obviously this is most economical, but most of the people I know are more comfortable at those settings as well. Bottom line-- it is your thermostat-- set it wherever you like..

Reply to
lp13-30

According to your manual:

"Auto Changeover is a feature used in climates where both air conditioning and heating are used on the same day. When the system is set to Auto, the thermostat automatically selects heating or cooling depending on the indoor temperature. Heat and cool settings must be at least 3 degrees apart."

You will normally use the manual setting in order to retain optimum control over your systems.

Reply to
Walter R.

People generally wear heavier clothing (long sleeves, sweaters, etc) in wintertime than in summer, when light clothing is more typical. Thus, you can be comfortable at 67 degrees in the winter, and 74 or so in the summer. I promise you that if you air-condition to 67 degrees, or heat to 74, you will

*not* be comfortable.
Reply to
Doug Miller

ok, sounds like auto changeover depends on conditions. i will have to give this mopre thought.

but the quesiton still lingers. When I go into schedule mode, the screen shows Heat AND Cool temp settings that I can adjust. So if I just set the cool setting and leave change over at manual, the Heat Temp setting won't come into play here?

Reply to
affiliateian

Right. The heat setting is used in heat mode only, and the cool setting is used in cool mode only, regardless of whether you are in manual or auto changeover.

Suppose you have the heat setting at 68 and the cool setting at 76, and you have it set for auto changeover. Suppose in the morning it's

60 outside. The system will be in heat mode and heat the house until it reaches 68 and then shut off. If it now warms up outside and the house temperature gradually rises, when it gets to 76 and a little more, the system will changeover to cool mode and begin cooling until the temperature drops to 76.

If you were in manual changeover with the mode set to heat, it would work the same except the cooling would never come on, no matter how hot it got.

If you were in manual changeover with the mode set to cooling, the heat would never come on no matter how cold it got, but if the temp rose above 76, the cooling would come on until it cooled to 76.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Hey Paul, that totally helps, thanks!

Got the autochangeover set. Let's see what sort of temps I and the family need to feel comfy. Still going to try the scheduling out and testing out various air returns and register open/close testing.

So what does everyone else have your settings set at? Knowing how to set it is one thing. Now, I have to figure out how to set it properly so that it maximizes comfort while minimizing operating costs.

Thanks again and any more feedback would be great!

Reply to
affiliateian

I usually have mine set at 68 day/63 night in winter, 76 day/ 72 night in summer, with manual changeover

Reply to
trader4

I can see testing it for a day or two to see if it works, but other than that:

The way I look at it, the separate settings are only so one doesn't have to re=enter the temperature at the start of the winter and the start of the summer.

The notion of using heating and cooling in the same day to me is only applicable to an Intensive Care Unit in a hospital, or possibly if someone is charged with care of the Declaration of Independance and he didn't buy enough heat insulation. Other than that, clothes and closed windows are what makes people warm when it's 50 degrees or less in the house but going to be warm later.

Sounds right to me. I wish I could be as nice as you are.

Reply to
mm

Thanks for sharing, much appreciated. Will keep testing.

Reply to
affiliateian