Help with Lamp Cords

About a month ago I was given some lamps as a gift. I noticed that the cords are becoming covered with a white deposit. None of the other cords in the house have anything like this. Is this something to be worried about?

Yrs.,

Dan Harms

Reply to
Daniel Harms

Its mildew. They were stored in a damp place. Old wire seemed to have this problem. Clean it off with some strong bleach water. The mildew wont hurt, but the wires sound old. If they crack when you bend them sharply, replace them. (unplug before using the bleach and bending them).

Reply to
someone

Hi Daniel!

DH> About a month ago I was given some lamps as a gift. I noticed that DH> the cords are becoming covered with a white deposit. None of the DH> other cords in the house have anything like this. Is this something DH> to be worried about?

Are these lamps old? If so I'd replace the lamp cord.

  • We hope you will soon be re-united with your marbles.
Reply to
barry martin

They're new, actually, but they were also really cheap.

Yrs.,

Dan Harms

Daniel Harms

Hi Dan!

DH> > DH> About a month ago I was given some lamps as a gift. I noticed that DH> > DH> the cords are becoming covered with a white deposit. None of the DH> > DH> other cords in the house have anything like this. Is this something DH> > DH> to be worried about? DH> > Are these lamps old? If so I'd replace the lamp cord. DH> They're new, actually, but they were also really cheap.

As the other person indicated, may be something can just wipe off and never have appear again. It the white deposit does come back I'd replace the cords. BTW, I've found it's usually cheaper to buy an extension cord and clip off the socket end than to buy a length of zip cord and plug.

  • Poorly Assembled Commands: CAIL Crash After I Leave
Reply to
barry martin