Help replacing brick front stair with granite.

I have removed most of the front step and this is what I'm confronted with:

As you can see I have a ring of bricks filled in the center with cement, most of which I have removed. I want to put a 7" high piece of granite to replace this. I need to frist remove the ring of bricks, and then figure out what to do with the cinder blocks in the back that support the landing. They are too high. I don't know if the quarry can notch the granite block in the back to fit over it, but assuming they can't, what do I do? If I take them out (if I even could) the landing might collapse. Can I just cut them down somehow? I was thinking if I could find a masonry blade for my sawzall...

Reply to
jtpr

Nifty.

Looks to me like chisel work. You can take out a substantial amount without risk of collapse, so you don't have to be neat. Break up the part of the blocks that are in the way. Try to leave the blocks that are holding up the top step intact, but don't sweat it if the occasional one cracks, then clean out the debris, and then fill in the voids in the broken blocks with a not too wet mix of concrete to previde long term support.

It's unclear how far back the blocks even go. If they don't go back more than half a brick width, you can just knock them all the way out.

John

Reply to
raven

I will be willing to bet that once you remove the bricks showing on the step your done. I strongly doubt that the bricks go very deep. Why not just clean up what is left and place your granite on the remaining, just above the walk way. Just like you did the stoop?

Looks good

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks for the input.

So if I understand correctly, you guys don't thing the cinderblocks are the sole support of the landing, or if they are the part under the landing will be enough to sustain the strength to hold it up?

I can't do it like the top as getting a piece only 2" thick by 1' wide is tough 'cause they break. the quarry wants me to use a 7" thick piece, which means the block of granite needs to be flat (or close to it) on the ground. As the cinder blocks are about 2" up this presents the problem. The bricks you see in the front I am going to remove. In fact I thought I would remove them and all the debris and whatever I do with the cinder blocks, then just fill the space with a wet sand mixture, didn't really think I needed to pour cement. Then just put the granite piece in. It will be supported on the edges anyway.

Thanks again for the help.

Reply to
jtpr