HELP: Paint a radiator?

Hello,

I live in an apartment and have a radiator that appears to have been painted over many times. The outermost layer is a white latex that has yellowed.

I'd like to paint the radiator and the steam pipes connected to it black or I saw an aluminum-colored paint at Home Depot. Can I use regular paints on the radiator? Please note that I have a two-year old daughter....are there any health concerns about using the wrong kind of paint on pipes that heat up?

Also, I'm not concerned about impeding the amount of heat coming from the radiator by painting it. My apartment gets PLENTY of heat.

Thanks!!!

--Virgil

Reply to
Virgil Kent

Hello,

I live in an apartment and have a radiator that appears to have been painted over many times. The outermost layer is a white latex that has yellowed.

I'd like to paint the radiator and the steam pipes connected to it black or I saw an aluminum-colored paint at Home Depot. Can I use regular paints on the radiator? Please note that I have a two-year old daughter....are there any health concerns about using the wrong kind of paint on pipes that heat up?

Also, I'm not concerned about impeding the amount of heat coming from the radiator by painting it. My apartment gets PLENTY of heat.

Thanks!!!

Reply to
LFR

HeatMan

They sell special paint for that. Regular paint wont work.

Reply to
PHroGman

I'd use an automotive Engine paint from the auto parts store. It won't fade or yellow Like you said, you have plenty of heat.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

Very interesting link.

Mike

Reply to
bro

It is interesting. They also point out that coal fired heaters are only about 50% efficient.

I would have though that the metallic paint would have provided more heat by conduction than is lost by radiation compared to other paints.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski