Thanks in advance for any replies. I have a Bolens mower with a Briggs
and Stratton 4.5 hp engine. And, you guessed it, it won't start. I have
a giant cottonwood tree in my backyard, which, at this time of year,
sheds all its cotton, leading the the clogging of my mower. After
taking the time to clean it out, it will not start at all. The air
filter is clean, the spark plug is new and is getting gas (after
priming, it is wet and smells like gas)......And the mower has a tank
of clean, fresh gasoline. Any suggestions? If I'm going to use starting
fluid, do I spray it straight into the carb or into the cylinder?
Ah, but DO you have a spark? Pull the spark plug wire off, put it
about 1/4" from the block, and give the sucker a spin. You should see
the spark jump to the block. DON'T hold on to the wire, as it is very
easy to give yourself a nasty shock!
If no spark its likely the coil or ignition module, its not a quick fix,
Confirm no sparkk, remove spark plug, put your finger in the spark
plug cap, be sure to touch the electrde , hold the block while some
pulls the cord, report back on what happens.
Into the carb intake...might be able to spray it on the external surface of
the filter and get it to work. When you cleaned the underneath of the
mower, did you tilt the mower deck up so the carburetor was on the bottom or
top. If on the bottom, crankcase oil can run down into the intake manifold
and carburetor and cause some problems in starting.
I tipped it back to about a 15 degree angle.........I'm about to use
Liquid Wrench in place of carb cleaner. Is that a safe idea? This same
thing happened last year when the cottonwood tree bloomed, and after 3
weeks it started right up.......
On 14 Jun 2006 07:09:25 -0700, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Into the air cleaner or the air cleaner inlet. No need to take
I wouldn't use liquid wrench. It's only advantage is that it is in an
aerosol can. I don't know that it would do harm, but it has all
kinds of ingredients that aren't in gasoline. A can of starter fluid
is only a dollar or two.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.