Heating and reusing asphalt

I have to patch a few areas at edge of my asphalt driveway that cracked off. 10+ years ago put similar asphalt chunks in a couple of aluminum trays in an old BBQ to 300F, and then placed and compacted them by hand. But I don?t have an old BBQ anymore and the missus refuses (on principle) to let me use the current BBQ (even though it would all be FULLY contained in aluminum trays). I have an infrared thermometer. So, thought about using the fire pit, but I suspect I?d have a very difficult time trying not to overcook the asphalt. Anyone ever success with this before? Seems a shame to have to switch to a coldpatch repair while I have all this perfectly reusable asphalt lying around, and time is on my side. Advice appreciated. Regards, Theodore

Reply to
milli...

The next time she goes to spend a week at her sister's place, you know what you need to do.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Ignore the Mrs. What does she know about home repairs? Does she let you you tell her how to clean the house?

Reply to
MikeJ

Here's a portable asphalt recycler.

For a municipal operation, looks like you need 2 guys to do the work and a half dozen supervisors to stand around with their thumbs up their asphalts?

Maybe use the missus' KitchenAid stand mixer and heat the bowl with a propane torch?

Or maybe a cement mixer from Wuhan Harbor Freight?

And some heat:

Buck Fiden

It would seem to me that to make old material into decent new material would require mixing in some new petroleum based glue that's sticky and binds it all together. Where one would get that in small quantities, IDK. Without it, I would be skeptical that it would work well, would be durable enough to last, but then I've never tried it.

Reply to
trader_4

When they resurface asphalt roads around here, they have a train of grinder -> paver -> asphalt tanker, all connected together that grind the top three inches, add hot asphalt, and pave it right back down.

Then they put a virgin topcote on.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal