Heat Pump Contactor Works--Compressor & Fan Don't

Ruud Heat Pump Model Number: UPKA043JAZ

The contactor is working and not stuck when we turn on the heat pump, but the compressor doesn't turn on. Neither does the fan motor. There is no clicking noise, humming, or vibration.

All wires, low voltage and high-voltage, seem clean and tight.

The unit is less than one year old.

There is a kickstart that I suspect may have screwed up something, but I have no evidence. I will get it checked by a pro, but I'm here just to get some vibes. If anyone can offer some ideas as to what is wrong, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jennifer :)

Reply to
Diane

Voltage readings?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

This is Turtle.

Concidering that model and it being Less than 1 year old and hopefully installed by a professional. You better go check your breaker boxes for the tripped breaker or fuse. You have a breaker for the outside unit and one for the inside unit. I think one has tripped on you by a power surge or outtage or lightening storm.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

a professional. You better go check your breaker

one for the inside unit. I think one has tripped

Thanks, but the breakers are fine and didn't trip. In fact, that is the first place I looked. The breakers were reset also. None of the connections are fried and all look solid.

Any other possibilities anyone?

Reply to
Diane

installed by a professional. You better go check your breaker

outside unit and one for the inside unit. I think one has tripped

Ants? defective contactor, actually no line voltage for some reason, blown fuses in a fused disconnect? See what the professional says, without being there with meters this is impossible.

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

by a professional. You better go check your breaker

and one for the inside unit. I think one has tripped

This is Turtle.

1) Change the Batterys in the Digital Thermostat.

2) Check the filter for being plugged up.

3) Call the installer for it is still under the 100% warrenty of 1 year.

4) Check to see if you have '' Home '' [ made by Square-D ] brand breaker going to the unit for this is a problem that does arise with these breakers. They just will not work in a very short time after installing them.

5) This sounds like a very simple fix with what you have said the problem is.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Circuit breakers do false trip. That means the breaker has tripped, but didn't swing over to the trip position.

Why don't you call the installing contractor?

Reply to
HeatMan

I will call him Monday. I'm not paying double for weekend service as the house is very shaded and not hot at all (just a tad muggy). From these wonderful posts from great posters, I have honed down the problem to a *line voltage* situation. The contactor is getting a signal from the control wiring, so the 24v signals are getting through.

Personally tomorrow (Sunday) I will

  1. Check the breakers in the panel and back and replace them with substitutes to see if indeed one or the other is bad. (BTW, there are no fuses in the back junction box, only a breaker.) Don't worry, I have done this before. I won't fry anything or anyone. The main will be shut off and I know how to use the screwdriver to unscrew the terminals. :)
  2. Check for loose wires in the front and back--again.
  3. Don't have a replacement contactor to test it so that's for the pro.

If all else fails, I will tell the pro that I think that there is a line voltage problem and he can take it from there.

Thanks.

Reply to
Diane

Unit less than year old should be repaired free of charge by installer.

Kickstart on a unit under 1 yr old.....that doesnt sound good. Whats the story behind this ???

Need to check voltage on both sides of contactor, bugs can get in there and though it looks like the contactor is pulling in and making contact it might not be. Also contactor points could be charred or eaten away.

Reply to
cornytheclown

Well, guys, the problem is fixed thanks to all of you and God too. ;) An old post where a guy had similar problems also helped.

The problem was merely that the breaker in the back junction box came a little loose through months of vibration. My husband and I merely plugged it in and wham, that baby started up instantly.

Turtle, you gave me a valuable clue when you said that the description of the problem didn't seem to indicate a major problem. Thanks to you and the rest of you posters who also added clues so that the 2 and 2 were put together.

So, next time someone says that the fan isn't working and the compressor isn't either--and that there are no vibrations or humming--think *loose breaker* as well as the other stuff. My, it was so simple and you guys saved us some bucks. You guys are great!

Thanks again. :)

Reply to
Diane

installed by a professional. You better go check your breaker

outside unit and one for the inside unit. I think one has tripped

Yea...call the installer since the things under warranty..

Now...of course....if the contactor has ants or a crushed bug under it..very common...you get to pay for labor..

Reply to
*CBHVAC*