Hauling Refrigerator from hjome depot....

yesterday i was passing home depot and saw a guy in a pickup truck with a brand new refigerator in the back laying down. he just pulled out of home depot... poor guy i guess he does not know that you not suppose to do that if you want the refrigerator to work?????

Reply to
jim

tecwhiz

Perhaps. I had a long discussion recently with the SubZero technician as I prepared to have mine moved. The issue of allowing oil to settle is there as always, but he was more concerned that internal damage to the compressors could occur because of the way the internal mechanism is suspended. His Explanation seemed to hold water so I'll make sure they are kept upright.

RB

tecwhiz wrote:

Reply to
RB

Actually, you can haul them laying on their side... but if you do, then you have to let them sit upright for a period of time before trying to run it.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

IMO, it is dumb to haul a fridge in any manner. The local appliance dealers are very competitive with HD prices. In my case, they matched to the penny and they delivered and set up as well as haul away the old fridge. I'm very willing to part with 20 bucks or so to have someone do this. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Hi all,

Uprite is best!....but some tips if there is no other way to move the refrigerator other than on it's side...

A box or something under the top part of the fridge propping the top to be higher than the bottom ( when you lay it down ) would also help keep the oil in compressor.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Some refrig compressors (not sure which ones) if you lay it on the side, the lubricating oil gets into the piston. And when you turn it on, the compressor breaks.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Umm..all of them idiot. How about this...the compressor amature mounts, INSIDE the housing, will shift, and the compressor will lock when the units fired back up..that happens.. But..if you were actually someone that had a clue, you would know that...but all you can do on you rnew group is talk about how you stole money from a woman that was drunk.... Pig.

Reply to
CBhvac

Actually, the biggest problem is if compressor oil gets into the

*refrigerant lines*, it will plug them. But if it ever got sucked back into the compressor, it would ruin the compressor's valves as you can not compress a liquid.

JFYI.

Reply to
Dan O.

Sealed systems are designed so that it's OK to feed a bit of oil with the refrigerant. At least AC and split systems are. I'd doubt that compressor oil would "plug" the lines. I'd be more worried about the slug getting into the piston.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated

Dammit...if you are going to talk the talk, and try to walk the walk, do it right.. Oil does not FEED with the refrigerant...it is carried by the refrigerant since the refrigerant oil is mistable.. As far as doubting that oil can plug up a cap tube...its obvious as hell by that single statement, you have little to no real experence in the field of HVAC-R. I suggest that if you are going to attempt to run a moderated group on the topic, you have some idea of what you are doing....since your posting history shows a strong lack of knowledge.

I feel for anyone that actually tries some of your advice.

Dan has more experence than you can hope to have in the applicance end, therefore, I find it silly and offensive that you would even try to correct him, as you are not only wrong, but showing your stupidity....

Reply to
CBhvac

A "bit" of oil, as in microscopic particles which can be carried by the refrigerant. Not the "ounces" of oil which would get into the refrigerant lines if the unit was tipped. And especially not on the high side where that oil would be forced through the capillary tub (metering device) which is much smaller on a domestic refrigeration appliances than on HVAC equipment.

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~