hardware for treated lumber

I was recently told to use only certain types of hardware (screws, joist holders, etc.) with treated lumber. Apparently, only galvanized hardware should be used.

If regular type (non-galvanized) hardware is used, chemicals in the treated lumbers will corrode/dissolve the hardware. If this is true, how long (approximate of course) would the regular hardware hold up if used with treated lumber??

Reply to
stevef

I've read, in some cases, a matter of weeks.

As for the hardware, stainless steel or double hot-dipped galvanized.

Reply to
Retiredff

It will start to rust in an outdoor environment in a few months in some areas, a few weeks by the shore. In Arizona, it will last a long time. Treated or untreated, use galvanized for outdoor use.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If used outdoors, use deck screws (galvanized) screws. These will eventually corrode and leave black stains near the metal. If you want to avoid the staining and screw erosion, use stainless steel screws. These cost much more, however.

If used under cover (barns, garage, shed, etc) any kind of screws may be used without concern. They should outlast the treated lumber.

Reply to
Phisherman

Not true. The new pressure-treatment will destroy regular fasteners, in some cases, in a matter of weeks.

Reply to
Retiredff

I just built a deck using Phillips Contractor Grade screws for pressure treated lumber. They have a dull green coating they call Durafast to prevent rusting. Screws are guaranteed for the life of the project. Bought at Lowes.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

you use treated lumber in the outdooors.. fence parts, decks, etc. so it is out in the weather... you gonna need outdoor weather resistant hardware like glavanized nails for it.... thats the reason you use galvanized stuff... forget about the chemicals in the wood....

Reply to
dbird

Joe Waag