Hanging a chandelier

I just hung a chandelier. My understanding is that the smooth side of the chandelier wire is black/hot, and the ribbed side is neutral.

Well, I read this online AFTER I first wired it.

I did get ground correct.

I have 5 bulbs, only 1 goes on. Is this because I wired it wrong the first time? None of the other bulbs have burnt out. Seems to me if the wiring was wrong none of them would work.

Thanks for your help!

Danielle

Reply to
Danielle P

Never noticed a light fixture having a smooth side and a ribbed side, but hey there is always something new coming along. One thing I do recall however from my early days back in Newfoundland was a neighbor who had a landscaping company and when the crew were laying new sod, he had to keep yelling: "Green side up boys!"

Reply to
Dimples

the cord has a ribbed and non-ribbed side.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Hi, Another newfie joke? The cord will have a bare ground wire and silver and copper color staranded wire when you strip insulation referencing neutral and hot wire. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

While you should wire black to black and white to white, in a chandelier, it probably isn't an issue. It like having a non polarized plug. Not really an issue and definately not one that would prevent 4 out of 5 bulbs not working (are the other 4 bulbs sugar-free?).

Use the one good bulb to determine if the issue is with the sockets and not the bulbs. If so, i.e. a good bulb doesn't work in a particular socket, return the chandelier and get another one that works.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan