Grinding lumps off concrete slab

I have a shed floor that someone poured but never trowled. The guy I bought this home from was a real drunk and i know he did this. I can still see the shovel marks from where it was spread with a shovel, and left to harden. I'm tempted to just remove the whole floor, but I dont need the expense or feel like busting it up by hand. I decided to buy topping mix to somewhat smooth it out, and use sand mix to level the real deep areas. The problem is a few real high lumps. I'd have to pour about 2 1/2 inches to level the whole floor entirely, but that is only to get rid of a few lumps.

Is there a grinder that a homeowner can get to grind down these lumps? I already tried to bust them off with a 10lb sledge and that is not working too well. The only other idea I have is to put a cement cutting blade in my circular saw and cut lots of grooves in each lump, but I know that would take forever.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
pistonman

There is a tool called a bushing hammer. You can purchase one to fit a demolition hammer. They are designed to take off about an 1/8" per blow. The hand model will make an old man of you quick.

Scroll down at :

These fit on:
The hand model looks like:

DanG

-snip-

If you don't already own a 4inch angle grinder, now might be the time. They are about $50 & it will come in handy over and over again. The concrete cutting disks are a little better than 60 grit sandpaper on hardwood. Not real fast, but they *do* cut it down.

At first glance, I'd say one of the dry-cut diamond blades for your circular saw would be your best bet. Lowes has them for about $20 & you'll be amazed at how long they last if you've ever used those self-destructing fiber things. I've been cutting landscape blocks with one for a couple weeks. All in all I've probably made hundreds of 1/2 inch passes through 1 foot blocks with no sign of wear on the blade.

Don't take off more than 1/2 inch at a time & don't try to grind with an edge of it.

I'd set up a couple straight edges for the saw to ride on; make a cut every 1/2 inch or so; and then chisel off the high spots. [2inch cold chisel & 3pound hammer]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I had to deal with this recently. I had an outbuilding with a sloped, 6" rebar-reinforced slab. A level pad had been poured on top of the main slab for a hot tub. The tub is gone now.

I used a combi-hammer in hammer mode along with a scaling chisel to remove the level pad, since it made a step about 2" high at the low end of the main slab. I got it pretty smooth, but I still have to spend some time knocking down a few high spots before my better half lays tile down.

The combi-hammer is very effective. You angle it into the slab about 30 degrees from flat and push it into the irregularity. If you get the angle right, it will skip across the main slab, and dig in at the bumps. They come off easily.

You should be able to rent the combi-hammer and chisel.

Just make sure you check your progress so you don't over-do it.

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I do have an angle grinder and you are right, it is handy. It makes removing nails easy from used lumber for one thing, not to mention removal of exhaust pipes, cutting steel plumbing pipe, and a million other things. But I have never seen concrete cutting disks for them. Not locally anyhow. I already tried a "regular" disk on the concrete, and it did take off some of the cement, but I'd need hundreds of disks. It wears them out real fast.

I will have to check into what others posted on here.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
pistonman

pistonman,

I have tried to email a photo of a suitable apparatus to you but the message was bounced, saying that

(reason: 550 User unknown.)

If you want to see what I tried to send you, please confirm your correct email address to snipped-for-privacy@lipworth.com.au

Ken

Reply to