Good phillips driver bit

My grandfather had a camper shell on his old Chevy pickup that was held together primarily by Robertson screws. I remember this because of the difficulty of finding drivers for them. In fact, I think that when my father purchased said truck complete with camper shell, my grandfather gave him a Robertson driver which appeared to be made by shaping the shank of an old Phillips driver on a bench grinder :/

nate

Reply to
N8N

The Klein 10-in-1 (now 11-in-1, but I still keep calling it a 10-in-1 out of habit) includes two sizes of Robertson as well, FWIW.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I should have written that the Megalock has all the bits I normally need which is 14 with the 7 double sided bits, 4 of which are Robertson. I've a separate multi-bit driver with tamper resistant bits in my tool bag. Of course, there is the big honking Klein in the tool bag that doubles as a chisel so it's beat all to hell. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Ribbed tip to enhance your screwing pleasure:

I get these at HD in a dispenser pack.

Last much longer and grip better than Dewalt.

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Sounds like Pozi-Driv

Reply to
clare

Like I said, here we go again...

It was designed to cam out before breaking the screw. DAGS.

Reply to
krw

Some are good but I haven't been happy with their Torx bits.

Reply to
krw

What horsecrap.

It was developed to reduce assembly time on mass production assembly lines. The worker with driver tool only requires a quarter turn to align for engagement instead of up to a half turn. A phillips fastener is also self centering. This not to say phillips fasteners can't cam out, but so can straight slot fasteners. If the proper tool is used, there's no reason for a phillips fasteners to cam out.

Here's the DAGS you obviously didn't do.

nb

nb

Reply to
notbob

I hope they make improvements. I wouldn't touch a VA product with a 10' pole. Pure junk. VA is sold here in the freight liquidation store, which is one step below HF.

-------------------

These are made in the USA. I own a set of them and they seem great HOWEVER I'm just a home hack and not a professional. I reuse a lot of fasteners and these bits just grab them

Apparently Vermont American have a bad rep and it's gotten worse since moving to China.

Reply to
The Henchman

Wrong, as usual, NutJob.

Half of the story.

Reply to
krw

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe. But the patent

which is reference by the wiki article doesn't claim the "cam out" feature.

The biggest single "consumer" of Philips screws and bits is the "drywall" industry. Many of these drivers seem to use "cam out" to control penetration.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Couldn't get the link to work, but sounds like what I'm talking about.

I need to organize my tips. I've bought several of those multi tip things, and except for about three of them, they all get thrown into a drawer, and the organizers go to wherever mismatched socks go. They are like my drillbits. I must have a couple of hundred of them, mostly all dull. Better since I got a Drill Doctor 750. But there are lots and lots and lots of different tips, and even sizes within those tips. For the most part, a guy just needs a good hardened ribbed tip like these for 95% of his screwing. I like those prelubricated latex ones for the other 4%. Then there's those really weird fasteners that I use once every three years for the other 1%.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

wrote

I'll look. I'm tired of those 88 cent ones that break or strip after a day's use.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The only thing that's "as usual" is your resorting to name calling when you have no information to contribute.

Which is more of "the story" than you provided, which is none at all.

In fact, why do you even post to this group? It's obvious you know almost nothing about almost everything.

nutjob (for even responding)

Reply to
notbob

innews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No, they use a specially designed driver that sets the "depth" of the screw. When that depth is reached, the "clutch" disengages - not a "cam-out" function at all. Otherwize you could just use a drill with a $0.99 philips bit to hang drywall.

Reply to
clare

If only you would hold yourself to the same standard...

You're a damned liar. I've posted the same information that others posted (before I had the chance to) *several* times in similar threads. I *did* tell you where to find it for yourself.

I know you, unfortunately, NutHob.

You finally looked in a mirror.

Reply to
krw

I'm not a professional, either. I find VA products to be worse than HF.

They've made junk for a long time.

Reply to
krw

Yet, you continue to nymshift to avoid my KF.

I know you love me.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Gotchya, ya' strippy assed lil' turd.

nb

Reply to
notbob

wrote

You can't be serious. A device that actually sets the depth the screw can penetrate, then contacts the drywall, and automatically disengage the bit?

Preposterous.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B