Goldstar Window AC Problem

This a cheap 5K BTU. The fan will stop and the compressor will cut-out after from over-heating. It's a dual-purpose fan for condenser/expansion coil dissipation. Anyone else have a similar problem...before I take it apart? Thanks! bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

Before you open it up, how old is it?

Warranty?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

4 or 5 years...I would say.
Reply to
Bob Villa

Fairly common problem on window AC units. Replace the fan motor, but check the cost first. It may not be worth the trouble compared to a new unit. If you can't DIY, it is definitely cheaper to buy a new unit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Can't be that new... haven't seen any products branded GoldStar in a while, all are now LG (Lucky Goldstar)

wikipedia says 1995 is when the change took place

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Well your wrong...they were a "Special On Sale" item at Best Buy.

Reply to
Bob Villa

I was thinking it may be a poor connection on the CB. (heated or cracked solder)

Reply to
Bob Villa

I hate when I do that, damn! (your/you're)

Reply to
Bob Villa

It was a wasp net and involved a near complete tear-apart! Very bad design!

Reply to
Bob Villa

I get those here. Got into my brand new pool heater. Mud-daubers.

Reply to
Jim T

"Bob Villa" wrote

Glad it worked out. The stopping and starting sounds unusual for a blocked fan.

As for the bad design, they are throw aways and designed for ease of assembly. They don't care about taking them apart as few ever are.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Interesting. Just guessing here, but was the wasp nest causing a blockage of air flow, then the unit would overheat, then an overheating sensor somewhere would cut it off? Then, after it cooled down it would work again?

Reply to
RogerT

The nest is like cardboard and would make a slight noise most of the time and every once in a while would jam. The compressor would not cool enough and drop-out. Then the compressor would go thru another cycle if the fan wasn't running. Those nests are tough to rip-apart!

Bob Villa

I have a inexpensive window unit that periodically has the same problem, the fan freezes up.

The solution has been to oil the fan bearings. It is sort of an annoying job taking the covers off to get to the motor, but then a couple of drops of oil on each end of the shaft and some fussing fixes it for a couple of years.

Reply to
GeorgeD

You're the only one that "top posts". Possibly, you would be able to follow along if you posted like everyone else. It was bought from "Best Buy". Keep the "thought process" in one area and the concentration will improve.

Reply to
Bob Villa