GFI won't reset.

There is a GFI outlet in my restroom that won't reset. There are certain outlets and lights that do not work because of the problem. I replaced the GFI and checked the connections and it still doesn't work. I don't think it's the breaker because other lights and outlets connected to the breaker work. Any thoughts?

Reply to
carlos

Get rid of the GFI

Reply to
m Ransley

don't listen to the guy that said to" get rid of it" get a replacement one. If that G.F.I is being used to "protect " downstream recepticles, go check the wiring on all of them there may be 1 outside that has gotten wet causing your problem. G.F.I's are tempermental o there conditions.

Reply to
Playintennis5274

Unplug everything down stream of the GFCI. Check that the GFCI is corectly wired...line in to line, load out to all downstream devices. Definately check for exterior plugs, esp. any under the house for heat tape, etc. If GFCI does not work or reset, replace with one that is known to work. You can test your new one with a temp cord to the line side of the GFCI and plug into a outlet and see if it does not trip (do this out of the jbox on the floor or table, etc, and it should not be an outlet that is GFCI protected). If it does not trip, push the test button to see if it is good. When you have a good working GFCI, make sure its wired into the j-box correctly, everything downstream is disconnected. If it still does not work, check each plug downstream as they might have gone bad or bug or something is shorting it out. If every duplex plug downstream is good, I suspect something happened to the wireing inside the house (anything screwed lately into the wall? or mice, rodents, etc?) Do not simply get rid of the GFCI, you need to solve this problem as this is a life safety problem! sparky mick (imajoker)

Reply to
ima joker

Reply to
ima joker

Reply to
ima joker

Carlos:

C > There is a GFI outlet in my restroom that won't reset. There are C > certain outlets and lights that do not work because of the problem. I C > replaced the GFI and checked the connections and it still doesn't C > work. I don't think it's the breaker because other lights and outlets C > connected to the breaker work. Any thoughts?

It is possible for a GFCI to fail but you already replaced it so the problem is not with the GFCI itself -- the problem is somewhere 'downstream'.

Breaker----Light1---Light2----Outlet1---GFCI---Outlet2----Outlet3 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ GFCI Protected Zone

Any device before the GFCI is not GFCI-protected; from the GFCI on is protected by the GFCI. You already replaced the GFCI so the problem has to be after it. Check for worn/cut insulation rubbing against metal, cobwebs in an outlet or junction box. Depending on the situation and my hunches I might replace Outlet2 and Outlet3, especially if they're old.

Have you unplugged everything connected to the circuit after the GFCI? Perhaps a nightlight with a light sensor in it (comes on automatically at night) is failing. Do you have one of those plug-in air scenter things?

  • Chineese 101: That's not right: Sum Ting Wong
Reply to
barry martin