gfi problem

I just replaced a gfi in the garage.It would not test with the test button. I hooked up the new one and now it will not set .Help

Reply to
Gary

First, double-check your connections. You may have something hooked up incorrectly.

If that looks ok... Have you installed this GFCI so that other outlets are fed through it? If so, unplug everything from those outlets and try again.

If it still doesn't work, turn off the breaker, and disconnect the other outlets from the GFCI (that is, the only connections at the GFCI should be at the LINE side, and the ground wire -- no connections to the LOAD side). Turn the breaker back on, and try again. If it works now, then you have something wired wrong at one of the other outlets, or a fault in the wiring somewhere.

Reply to
Doug Miller