GFI gone bonkers

Saturday night I decided to wire the garage. I got most of it done and all of it works fine except for one GFI. That GFI did work just fine. I jusdt installed it a few weeks ago in our den, but I removed it after the household PMS master determined that Ivory is not white enough. So this GFI was working just fine. Now it dont work. The instant I plug something into it, it trips. I tried two trouble lights, my circular saw, drill, and grinder. All of them make it trip the second I plug them in. All of these things work fine on other outlets and other GFIs.

I must admit that by the time I got to this outlet I had finished off two 12 packs of beer, so I thought that maybe I pinched a wire when I put the outlet in the box. I pulled it out of the box yesterday and there are no pinched wires. What the heck could be causing this? By the way, when it trips I can see a visible flash inside of it.

I have never had this happen before. It makes no sense.

Ken

Reply to
kenkohler

What kind of dumbass installs electrical wire while DRUNK?

Hire an electrician next time, before you burn your house down and your wife and kids with it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Quite a few licensed electricians from what I've seen over the years... Particularly after lunch...

Reply to
Pete C.

Throw it away and buy a regular receptacle.

Reply to
valvejob

Sounds like the neutral and ground leads may be either swapped or shorted together, possibly not in the box you have that GFI in, but perhaps at the other end of the wires.

Put in a regular receptical and then TEST it for those kind of faults.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Wadda they say?

"Six beers before twelve and twelve beers before six".

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Yep, stuff like that'll happen when you're potted.

Stop kidding yourself. Two 12-packs, and you weren't drunk? Riiiiight.

Maybe more fun for you, maybe less fun for the firefighters that pull the bodies of your wife and kids from the charred rubble of the house that you wired while you were drunk.

I'll bet she does.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Last week I read a quote attributed to Albert Einstein I've used for the "Quote of the Month", posted in our office's waiting room.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that there are limits to genius."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

My "they" say that alcohol is for washing of the body, not for drinking. While your drunken dumb ass is screwing up your wiring, I'm screwing up my wiring -- completely sober. Well, perhaps that's not what I wanted to say?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Kin we shay alko shollick... budddy, buddy.... pash me another, oh, auh, uh, gotta go pee.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You're an alcoholic and you were drunk. You are just so used to it you can't tell.

What have you done to her when you were drinking and she bugged you?

Reply to
mm

You need help, pal. Ask around. Someone who's been dry for a few months or years can help you.

While you think "life is better with beer", it's actually passing you by. The joy of *real* life is experienced sober.

Good luck, FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

On or about Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:40:49 -0500 did snipped-for-privacy@yaho.o.com dribble thusly: