GFI "downstream" question

Hi folks,

I'm remodelling my garage. The outdoor electric circut will be GFI protected.

If the first outlet downstream of the cct breaker panel has a GFI outlet, what will happed to the outlets downstream from the GFI outlet if:

the GFI outlet trips, will the downstream outlets be disabled?

a fault occurs in a normal outlet downstream of the GFI outlet, will the GFI outlet trip and disable the fault?

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster

Yes. A GFCI outlet will protect everything downstream of it if properly wired.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

If the outlets downstream are wired to the "load" side of the GFCI outlet, they will all be protected by it

Reply to
RBM

Yes.

Yes.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Reply to
buffalobill

IMHO:

This information is detailed out in the instructions that come with the GFCI receptacle. Remember to follow the instructions in wiring you circuit.

Now simple answers, if wired correctly, the GFCI receptacle, and all outlets wired away from it, on the load side, should be all protected. This means if there is a trip, the GFCI and all GFCI supplied receptacles will deenergize. So you are very correct in your assumptons if all works correctly.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Thanks everyone for your replies. I hadn't thought about load/line sides to a GFI. I will certainly read the instructions when I do the install.

Regards, Gary

Reply to
G Mulcaster