GFI buttons dont work anymore

When I push the reset button on a GFI outlet on the outside of my house it does not pop anymore. This outlet is in a proper and covered exterior box, so it's not where rain has been getting in. The outlet still works, but I question whether the GFI protection is still there. I sort of have my doubts because I threw the female end of an extension cord in a plastic pail of water and plugged the male end of the cord in that outlet, and it did not trip. Of course I know a plastic pail is not really grounded.

Do GFIs do this sometimes? Why? It's only about 3 years old, so its not an age issue.

Thanks

LM

Reply to
letterman

It just went bad. It happens. The most recent crop of Levitan brand GFCI outlets, with a small green led on the face, have been failing at an alarming rate for me

Reply to
RBM

Key Word --- Levitan

All Levitan products sold in big box BORGs (and clones) are junk. Don't buy. Try to buy "Specification Grade" devices; as in Architect approved drawings and specifications for a building itemized electric devices. Cost a bit more, but well worth it.

Reply to
Phil Again

I purchase them from electrical supply companies, as I have done since they were invented. There is a normal rate of failure that these new one have well exceeded. I don't need specification grade for residential wiring as these have in the past , always been fine

Reply to
RBM