GFCFI and AFCI weirdness

I have both in my house (5yo)

1st Weirdness: We have a 2 room bathroom; one has a shower, sink and toilet, plus the GFCI. The other room has only a vanity and mirror; its outlet is daisy chained off the GFCI in the toilet room. About 3 month ago the GCFI tripped for no apparent reason. I reset it and it was ok. BTW, there are no other outlets, inside or out, on this GCFI. A few days ago, I tried to plug a small fan into the GCFI (in the toilet room) and it didn't work. I 1st thought it was the fan. The squirrel cage seemed a bit tight, and dirty, so I cleaned it up anyway. It worked well on the bench. Brought it back to said GCFI and it still didn't work. BTW, the LED on the GCFI was on. And the toothbrush charger on the remote outlet in the vanity room was also on. So I pushed the test button on the GCFI and it tripped ... reset it and both the outlets on the GCFI and the remote outlet in the vanity room now worked. Weird. The only thing I can guess is that the GCFI has 2 sets of contacts, one for the outlet built in, and one for the daisy chain. As I said, weird.

2nd Weirdness: Last night we had a thunderstorm blow through and it dropped about 1/2" of rain and lots of noise. With the largest thunder, I happened to look at the clock .... blank! I said, "power outage!" Then I looked in the kitchen and there were some signs of light. Actually, power was on and all those LED on everything were still lit. The AFCI had tripped. It reset fine. It reset just fine. Weird!

Reply to
Art Todesco

You may just have a bad GFCI

Not unusual

Reply to
gfretwell

Dunno on this one, I'd just replace the GFCI since they're cheap.

An AFCI tripping on an induced signal from a nearby lightning strike (real big arc) doesn't surprise me really.

Reply to
Pete C.

El Cheapo builder grade GFCI is nuisance. I replaced them all with better ones and no more funnies. They cost little bit more. By just looking at it, you can tell it is better made.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 7/28/2014 10:32 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Yeah, that's all what I thought. I just thought I'd rouse some interesting conversation or see if others have had similar situations. As to the AFCI, it was loud thunder that woke me up, but obviously, the lightning came first and I was still ZZZZing. So I don't know how close it actually was. The GFCI is probably just one of the cheap, MIC, units. Too bad we put our lives on the line with that junk. I find the power grid and telephone outside plant to be pretty primitive here in the mountains, compared to big city areas or suburbs of big cities. It's mostly that the companies don't seem to care as they are more reactive than proactive.

Case in point, most of the phone lines in the area, I'm glad not mine, have huge amounts of longitudinal 60Hz noise and the telephone company doesn't seem to hear it or care! During lightning times, there's lots of clicking, etc. on the line. Yeah I know the warning, but I always use a cordless phone. Case 2: I have closed the doors on the telephone remote site several times. I've reported it, no one seems to really care. Once when I closed the cabinet door, it was raining and the equipment inside was pretty wet. Luckily it was only the cabinet with the line protectors. Another case, the county cuts weeds along the sides of the roads. 2 years ago they completely took out a telephone pedestal knocking out all phone and DSL on the mountain. It was fixed and earlier this spring I stopped the bushwhacker from almost doing it again ... he couldn't see the pedestal and he said he was glad I told him. I called the telco and they did finally did respond by putting an orange pipe so they could see it above the weeds. And speaking of weeds, at the remote site (a DMS-10 for you telephone people), the weeds, vine stuff, maybe kudzu, is growing all over the unit; into the AC/fan unit, etc. Telco personnel are in cabinet several times a week, but nothing has been done. When everything finally overheats and quits due to lack of AC, maybe something will be done. Case 3: I had to call the power company to report their voltage was going way too high! I had a piece of equipment that didn't like voltages of over 130 some volts. When I called and finally got some tech guy, he was interested in how I measured it and finally said, Yup it's their problem. Over the next few hours, I watched the voltage go down to about 117.

Sorry for the long rambling from an ex city guy.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Who is opening them? If you are serviced from that RT I'd be a bit proactive in finding out, i.e. plant a game cam to catch the offender(s).

I would have just flagged it myself, $2 in orange marker and 5 min of my time to prevent my service from being impacted.

See above, if it's servicing you, be proactive and save yourself and your neighbors the trouble. Those RT are normally remote monitored though and should report an overtemp alarm to the CO.

I had a similar incident, and I'm not that far outside town. I walked past my server rack in the garage one afternoon and noticed the UPS beeping. The power was clearly on, so I checked it and found it was on battery due to overvoltage and was reporting 136V. I grabbed my Fluke 87 and checked a nearby outlet and got 135.6V. I called the utility and explained the issue to the CSR who had no clue but said she would pass it to the service dept. About 5 min later I got a call back from a tech in the area and I explained the issue to him. 10 min later he was parked in my driveway and on the radio to another tech who was heading to the regulator bank a couple miles up the road. Shortly thereafter the voltage was down to a nice 127V, and no problems since then. I thought it was pretty good response from the utility.

Reply to
Pete C.

It's the telco people that leave them open! There used to be a padlock looking device that opened with a special tool. I'm not sure that's there anymore. It wasn't the last time I closed the door. And, it didn't close very well; it wanted to pop open, like the door and hinge had been stressed. I found a piece of a wire cutting on the ground and used it through the hole where the "padlock" would normally be.

Reply to
Art Todesco