Getting the step down living room up to the floor level

Im looking into buying a home whose 17' by 15' living room is approx 6 inches stepped down from the other floors. There is an unfinished basement beneath this room and more than 10ft of ceiling above this room.

Id like to know if the floor of this room can be raised and brought in line with the other floors on the same level in this house. I was wondering if something simple as removing the carpet & subfloor and adding some lumber on top of the floor joists and reinstalling the removed subfloor and carpet woud be feasible? Would the joists be able to handle the extra lumber (essentially deadweight with no structural help)? Has someone attempted something like this.

Thanks. Bof.

Reply to
qareply

It has been many years since, but I helped my step-father raise a floor in two houses. they had to go up about 24". We used some cross bracing and a series of jacks, cut the joists and slowly raised them. Not a job for an amateur. The entire fronts of these buildings were also replaced as part of major renovations.

You can build a floor with 2 x 4's or 2 x 6 or whatever gives the proper dimension. Now, the windows may not be positioned properly, heating ducts or piping may have to be changed, receptacles will not be up high enough and may be code violations.

If I was you, I'd be looking at other houses.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Those are all useful points to think about. Thanks.

Reply to
qareply

Those are all useful points to think about. Thanks.

Reply to
qareply

Ahhh, the "sunken" living room. What a rage it WAS.

Over the years, I have been in a few homes where the floor was raised. More accurately, the floor was simply decked over.

I recall that it was obvious (to me) that the decking had been added. It struck me as a kludge, although it didn't LOOK bad. The floor had a hollow sound and feel underfoot, sort of like the stage in a little theater.

It never occurred to me that the outlets, windows and ductwork would be affected but they certainly would. If everything else about the home you are considering is good, I'd try to live with the sunken room and see if it's as bad as you thought. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I was amazed once to tour a brand new home that included an elevator to accommodate POSSIBLE wheelchair needs in the future: It opened on the main floor into a SUNKEN living room! "Brilliant".

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

You will have a load change because of the added lumber this may mean you need to sister on joists under the room it may also mean you need to change the center beam

you will probably leave the subfloor if it is plywood and good condition but you may need to cut each new joist you use to build the box.

unless you are modifying the home for handicap access I would suggest living with it. or pic a different house

Reply to
<moo

Reply to
Alan