Getting Stumped-air in line to toilet

Bear with me in case this gets a little long. I'll try to give all the specifics:

How long should I continue to have air in my toilet lines after recharging a galvanized well pressure tank? I drained and recharged tank a little over a week ago (38/58) and air has been purged from all lines except for the back toilet in the master bathroom which gets air in the pipe when the pump turns on. However, it doesn't happen every time the pump kicks in, just intermittently. When I flush the toilet(s) and the pump doesn't turn on during the fill cycle, everything's fine. I have a whole house filter installed by the tank and my initial thought was that some of the crud from the bottom of the tank had plugged up the filter causing this problem. When I took the filter off, there was a hissing sound of air as I was unscrewing the filter housing, so there was air being released out. Worked for a few days, so I thought the problem was fixed as I made certain to be aware to flush when the pump was down near

40psi, then a few nights ago I flushed the toilet and problem resurfaced. I replaced the toilet fill valve and supply line and put another filter in. I should also mention that the day before I drained the well tank, I replaced my hot water heater in the basement. Since I had the system open for that, I'm wondering if that is contributing to the problem and that there is air still in the lines that is taking its time getting out. It's been 2 days since I did this last bit of maintenance and so far, no problems, but like I said earlier, it was fine previously for a few days, then all of a sudden... The tank itself is original to the house (probably 27 years old) so I'm also wondering if that could be a factor as well. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Sounds like maybe the air volume control on the galvanized tank isnt letting out excess air.

Otherwise, the problem should eventually go away.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

You probably have methane gasses in your water. I read about this on the web, but do not recall the website. However, it is in some wells and causes air in the lines, particularly the hot water lines.

Reply to
fgvguiihff