GeneralAire Humidifier Install Question

I installed a General Aire Model 1042L Humidifier 4 years ago with the bypass 6 in duct installed in the return air duct. I was just wondering the effect of having the bypass line in the return air on the air filter which is downstream of the bypass.

Questions: - 1. Will the moist air drawn through the air filter not affect the operation of the filter? - 2. Will the moisture be retained by the filter?

The reason why I when this route is that my heater supply duct is very narrow about 5 in (which is too narrow for the 6in bypass line). The duct is 5 in high by 20 in wide.

Thanks.

Reply to
malam

I guess the first question is what kind of filter? If it's the disposable kind, I doubt the extra moisture will be a problem for the filter. If it's electronic, I'd read the manual or contact the manufacturer.

I've never been a fan of the bypass type humdidifiers for 2 reasons. One is it reduces the capacity of the blower. Second is, someone has to remember to close off the bypass during AC season, or it will reduce the blower capacity during summer too. And third, related to your concern, I've never thought it was a good idea to send humid air through the furnace blower, hot heat exchanger, etc. With a self powered unit, the humid air goes out the hot air plenum and never into the furnace. I've never seen any actual data or reports however, that say the bypass models cause problems though.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks, I've been trying to rationalize the way the installation was done for a while,but had no reason to doubt the method. However, lately, I kind of wonder. I am going to try and explore the possibility of installing the 6 in bypass line either at the top or bottom of the heated air duct line. That way the bypass is returned back into the same line, maybe some loss within the humidifier unit itself. Although the height of the duct is narrow, it should be ok to mount the line either at the top or at the bottom wider section. I favour the bottom since any debris will fall back info the elbow. (??). It will also be after the filtration and heating of the air. My air filter is the paper accordion General Filter AC1 type. I also have a UV bulb unit just before the filter.

Reply to
malam