GE stops making its iconic bulb in the U.S.

Also look at the link there:

GE pushed for the legislation for bulbs and are sending production to Mexico and China. I would think that bulb making would be highly automated, a job that could have stayed here with our higher worker wages.

For those that think we should buy American, look at GE.

Reply to
Frank

Sure, pal!

I think Rusk should be able to dump his old car crankcase oil in the storm drain, throw his broken tv's and refrigerators on the side of the road, and burn witches at the stake. fortunately, not everyone is equally as stupid.

While I have few illusions about GEs motives, the end result is for the better and allowing ppl to adhere to outdated energy wasting technologies does us no good in the long run. Rusk wants to make his own incandescent light bulb, no one is stopping him. Edison did it. But, supplying the lazy self-indulgent masses with highly detrimental technologies, like polluting cars, should not be allowed jes cuz it may preserve someone's freedom of choice.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I strain my dirty crankcase oil and pour it in my household fuel oil tank. I also dump my old TVs and other items on the side of the road, but only twice a year in the spring and fall. The highway department picks them up in their regularly scheduled cleanup program. Which reminds me, I have to get the stuff out before next week, so the 'pickers' get first dibs on it..

Reply to
willshak

what would edison do?

Reply to
Bob Sauerbraugh

WWED. That's profound. I think he would reccomend lower taxes, and a severe reduction in the government meddling.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lie like a rug and screw everyone within a 5 mile radius.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I'm buying as many bulbs as I can. They will be worth millions some day.

Reply to
A. Baum

I really doubt it. The CFLs keep getting better and they are cheaper to operate. Keeping your head in the sand is your option though. How is that

8088 computer working for you? DOS makes it so simple to use.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hey! Watch your mouth! I still have one of those over in the corner, there. (Really need to light it up some day, and see if the hard drive still spins...)

Reply to
aemeijers

The light bulb police will show up and confiscate them. Just wait and see, someday a neighbor or brainwashed family member will turn you in.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Do you have room? Isn't your investment storage unit filled to the ceiling with CRT monitors/tvs, phonograph players, betamax vcrs, and circuit city divx players?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

wanna buy a 56K modem for it? I still have a 56K *real* (not winmodem) ISA modem. Looks like I should have put it up for sale while it was still worth anything.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The DEA cops will see his unreasonable electric bill on a database query and bust down his doors thinking he's growing weed.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I've still got a 9600 baud USR modem, serial connection.

Well, I did, but it went to the dump a few months ago during one of the purges.

Still have a 28.8 hardware faxmodem around here somewhere, though. Shame it won't work on my Comcast phone line, though. Bastards.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

All joking aside, I am seriously considering stockpiling at least 100 boxes of bulbs. Probably get 70 boxes of 60W, 30 boxes of 40W.

That'd give me 400 bulbs, for about a hundred bucks. Should last the rest of my life.

Would take a bit of space to store them, though. I wonder how they would do in an attic?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I'll build a pole building with 20 foot tall electric fences covered with razor wire.

Reply to
A. Baum

They would do quite well in an attic. I can't see them taking up much space at all if stacked. I'm pretty sure you can stack those things has high as you like. But I think you will pay more than a hundred bucks.

Reply to
A. Baum

Yeah, but you're still using DC. Being 1/2 mile from the power plant is expensive.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

i think they'd do just fine. I'm stacking mine on shelves in the barn. I figger about 2020, they'll be worth about $5 a piece or more on ebay.

Reply to
Steve Barker