Gate Valve or Ball Valve

Thanks Stretch,

Here is the orig>Hiya folks,

For situations where a valve will always be either all the way open or all the way closed, a ball valve is superior. In a gate valve, the water is always in contact with the gate and closing mechanism, and will eventually corrode it. It's also nice that you can see at a glance if a ball valve is open or closed.

Gate valves are better when fine control and adjustment are needed.

rusty redcloud

Regardless of whether a gate valve is intended for use as open/shut, it is absloutely superior to a ball valve for finer adjustments. A ball valve is still the better choice than a gate valve for a shut off valve in a residential application, which is why I recommended it.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©

On 9/9/2005 3:19 PM US(ET), Cubby took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

How about drilling a hole in the ball valve handle, then attaching a 3'-

4' 1/4" steel rod with a bolt and nut? Pull/push the rod to open/close the valves.
Reply to
willshak

Thanks. Might work if I plan to turn the valve. I hadn't planned on that but let me check to see if it'll work. Thanks!!!

Reply to
Cubby

Yep, but it doesn't say it has to be infinitely adjustable and I still argue that gate valves are for regulating either 0 flow or no flow.

Fluid in a nuke plant is H20. Fluid in the house is H20. The valves look and operate pretty much the same. Especially those on the 2ndary side. The primary ones are still the same, just leak proof. There is no scheduled replacement of valves... unless they wear out.

Nuke plant valves are expected to be in place the life of the nuke plant. They cost too much otherwise. Some are never operated except in emergencies. I have a gate valve on my water supply at home. Not a ball valve.

Not necessarily.

Ball valves are used in nuke plants but usually in the air or hydraulic systems. They aren't as maintainable or leakproof as gate valves.

Reply to
User Example

Make sure the steel rod isn't at a 90 degree angle to the pipe, or you may find that turning the valve on might be a little problematic. ;-)

Reply to
keith