Gas water heater and home inspection

I projected bringing everything up to code? This is what you posted:

And there you go posting the same thing again, as if once isn't enough and claiming you never said it. Have you ever seen a contract where the seller was required to rebuild the house to the code requirements of today, as opposed to when it was built?

BS First, most builiding inspectors aren't gonna waive code, just cause someone doesn't like it. Second, it wouldn't be worth the time and effort to avoid putting the freaking water heater on a simple stand.

Reply to
trader4

Yep I wrote that, which is what I wrote in response to your mentioning this first:

Okay, you win. I haven't seen the contract, I don't have a clue about what the specific performance of the purchase contract is, what the specific code requirements are for the area, or what (or if) the contingency clause is regarding the inspector's findings, nor do I even know if she had a lawyer look at her contract before signing (evidently not since she's asking here); apparently if the OP wants to close this Wednesday, she'll have to fix it or waive it or appeal that it doesn't have to be fixed. That's the options on the specific case as I see it. Her only point of authority for appealing is the local building inspection agency.

The generic point is, whatever the buyer puts in the contract is part of the performance of the contract if the seller accepts it. If the buyer wants something (not necessarily the whole house) brought up to code before closing, and the the seller accepts the contract, then the seller has to "perform" or waive it (usually with monetary consideration). While I've yet to see a "whole house to current code" clause, I have seen specific items requested to be brought up to code as part of the sale. Sometimes the seller accepts, sometimes they turn down the offer.

Jeez, I thought I was agreeing with you that the buyer would have to be an idiot to accept such a contract. What part of the "if" did you miss? The buyer *can* ask for "anything," *if* the seller accepts the contract, its up to the seller to "perform." I once bought a house and had the seller pay all *my* closing costs and erect a new fence by putting it in the contract which he accepted. So I know things like that can be done. Yeah, he didn't like me much on closing day.

Did I say the building inspector waived code? Its not that hard to get a variance which the building inspector then signs off on. The variance just "legalizes" the issue. The local building authority would have a record of such a variance if it existed. Its something to check.

I've seen stranger things scrimped to save a few bucks in tract housing.

Reply to
Grandpa

DING-DING-DING-DING, we have a winner! The reason for a WH stand is to keep the pilot (which is at the BOTTOM of the WH) above any gas vapors. This elevation will prevent ignition of said vapors. Look at a furnace, the flames are usually about 12-18 inches up.

DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING-DING, we REALLY have a winner! most home inspectors don't have a clue why the 'rules' are the way they are. The inspector just fills out a form and collects money.

Reply to
HeatMan

Well, that's a relief! I live in Gwinnett Co., GA, and I just had a new water heater installed, which is *sitting on the floor* of the unfinished regular sized room next to my garage. There is no room between floor and heater which kind of bothered me. :\\ bj

Reply to
chicagofan

The HWH is placed on concrete blocks set upright. They

Concrete blocks are a nominal 16 inches, and to allow for the mortar joint, they are actually built 15 5/8 inches in length.

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT

You made me curious, so I just checked...and you're right. So, my HWH is sitting on four upright concrete blocks, and I now know it is *almost* 18" (despite what the plumber told me).

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Just call your local building inspector for your town and ask. I think it just applies to garages.

Reply to
tmurf.1