Gas plastic, got water in it

A couple days ago, it snowed. I went to go start my Dad's (RIP) snow blower. Ran for half second, and would not start. The gas in the fuel tank is a bit milky looking. And the gas plastic (I refuse to call it a gas CAN as it's not metal) might have water, not sure.

The gas plastic, the spout has a snap on cap, but it was not capped. Stored in the garage, so rain isn't issue. Does the new gasohol suck humidity out of the air?

I know I need to drain the gasoline, and go buy new gas. What to do with the old gasoline?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

yep water in gas, the alochol in gasoline sucks up moisture....

dump old gas out, and move on. for 2 cycle engines stores sell alcohol free gas in cans

Reply to
bob haller

Pour it on the ground (that's where it came from) Use it to start something on fire. (bon fire) Mix it slowly with good gas. Put a little of it in you car gas tank. nuf said

Reply to
Chuck

I did the gas on the ground thing, while working on a lawn mower. The grass didn't grow back for a couple years. Bonfire is more my style. Break it down to carbon dioxide and water vapor, and let the ecosystem recycle it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No...do not pour it on the ground or put it in your gas tank.

The fire-starter suggestion is ok

or

Get a box of kitty litter and pour it in there to allow it to harmlessly evaporate.

Best to turn it in to your towns hazardous chemical disposal if your town has one.

Reply to
philo

A friend of mine has outdoor fires, once in a while. He's agreed to dispose safely, the old gas. Now to get permission from Mom, and go there and drain the snow blower. It's tank on top, so I'd have to remove the fuel line, drain the tank. Remove the bowl, drain the carb. Station about five miles away sells alcohol free high octane. Buy some gas.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wonder if any of the nearby FD would take it for use in their fire drills? A friend of mine has a burn pile out back, he can use it as fire lighter.

Dad's got three gas cans. I'd bet all three are full of water. Sigh.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One could try some gas stabilizer and mix old gasoline with fresh gasoline. 25/75 old to new. Drain blower tank into suitable container and re-purpose, or filter and put back into old storage container.

I would mix with enough powdered Tide, or similar, and make some gooey flammable stuff to have fun with.

In the future, find a fuel source that does not have methanol or similar grain alcohol. That crap is a joke.

Reply to
Irreverent Maximus

Ah, the old gooey flammable stuff. Send it to Ireland, for their outdoor sports?

Just called Mom, asked is this a good time to come fix Dad's snow blower. No, she got the snow plow guy to do the walks also, and the snow blower is no longer needed. I spent a bunch of time working on preps, tools, planning. And one more ## thing got cancelled out from under me. I'm not ammused.

Don't tell her I said that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Over a year ago after fighting my baby tiller and paying for service, I learned that in Canada, Shell premium gas is alcohol free, and works like a dream in my small engines. The baby Honda tiller won't run properly on regular fuel but starts and runs on the premium grade, so that is all that I buy for all my small engines. It is worth the extra cost.

Reply to
EXT

Or let it set out on a cold, cold night. Next day put the gas in the truck and and dump out the ice :). That's what I did when I picked up the can one day and heard "rattle".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

That's ok. You'll get another shot at it the next time they need the blower :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

So you'll (she'll) let the snowblower sit there in a non-working condition until when? Until it's needed because the plow guy got sick or quit or majorly delayed because of a lake effect blizzard?

If it's not needed, ask her if you can sell it. If she says "No, we might need it in an emergency" then tell it should be fixed now when it's not an emergency situation. If she says "Yes, you can sell it" then tell her it should be fixed now because she'll get a much higher price for a machine that starts when the potential buyer comes to look at it.

You know, now that I think about, I don't think I'd have to ask my mom if I could come over to fix something. Not only would she welcome the company and the assistance, she probably cook me a fine meal while I was working.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I talked to my sister on the phone, today. She seems to think that Dad only bought ethanol free gas for the gascans, and machines. Supposedly the one station had gasoline in regular and premium. I'll ask them some time. Might be he bought 87 gasohol, thinking it was gasoline. Several stations near me have 91 octane gasoline.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Never heard that one, but it makes sense.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, about 10 degrees, blowing snow, and solid chunk of gasowaterohol in the tank.

"But you said you could fix it?"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, about 10 degrees, blowing snow, and solid chunk of gasowaterohol in the tank.

"But you said you could fix it?"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Regardless, don't waste money on the 91 octane. Detonation is not a problem, here.

Reply to
Irreverent Maximus

I may find out that the station Dad was using has gasohol 87, and gasoline 91. Which will change the future buying habits for snow blower and lawn mower fuels.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon