Gas oven problem

Hi, figured I'd ask. This is one of the 'out of my experience set'. The oven portion of my 4 burner gas stove stopped working. It no longer lights and there is no smell of gas. The heating element in this model is under a plate (not an easily removed one either, complete dismantle required from the looks of it to get to the element).

I already called our appliance folks some time back on another issue with it and the main problem they say is parts no longer exist for this model. It was part of the original equipment when the house was made in 1963 apparently. Kenmore.

Lets face it, it's so very dated we planned to replace anyways, but just not right now.

Reply to
cshenk

Most likely the oven igniter. If that does not heat, the gas valve will not open. If it is a pilot light model, the pilot is out or the thermocouple is bad. Either can be DIY if you are so inclined. Thermocouple can be had from most hardware stores. Service call is about 30% of the cost of a new cheap stove.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A toaster oven will cook most small stuff you might make in the oven so maybe use the oven for its normal use - storing pots and pans?

Reply to
LouB

A couple things. Please open the oven, and look for the model number.

Second. When you lit the oven in the past, did an orange glow happen, and later the oven goes whoof and lights?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

Old metal plate, can not read anything on it. Manual is gone but there's a page or so in the book with the house listing it as original and just says 'Kemmore Gas Oven'. It actually looks a little newer than 1963 era but beyond any doubt it was an older model when we bought the house by 1995.

I think so. Not sure there was much time between it all. We don't use the oven often. Maybe every other month? Got out of the habit when we lived in Japan and the cost of electrical was very high. Grin, I've been known to need to dust them out before use.

Either way, Hubby wants one of the newer ones with a griddle in the center so this is probably moot. (Is there a term HWMBO?)

Saw some decent models at Lowes (10% military discount). Slowly we are getting ready for a kitchen re-do and doing the appliances first works well enough for me.

Reply to
cshenk

LOL! Well we've decided to replace it. Hubby really wants one of the newer models with the center grill which sounds good to me as well. Decision made after posting. It's more a 'curiosity' point now on what may have happened. Besides, no WAY would all our pots fit in there! ;-)

Although we are low oven users, we scratch cook mostly so not having an oven on tap doesn't work for us. Don't have a toaster oven but I have 2 crockpots going right now (Pork shoulder to be pulled BBQ pork and the other has a lentil stew redolent with onions and spices).

Reply to
cshenk

LIke they don't have "body parts" for old cars, but they usually have engine parts, I would bet someone has this part.

They didn't use igniters in 1963. I don't think all ovens even had pilot lights then.

If no smell of glass it sounds like the main oven valve, behind the knob that turns on the oven, that is, if your top burners work. I would think that part especially can be found, that it might have been used for 20 years or more. Find old appliance stores, hopefully with an old owner, and see if he knows where it is. Maybe take off the knob and photograph the valve and take it with you. Front and back if possible.

When last it worked did it work well?

A common problem, you must know by now, is grease or food getting in the holes. I'm not sure if you could have enough clogged holes that you smelled no gas, but maybe.

Reply to
mm

The more I think about it. I don't think they had hot surface ignitors back in the sixties. More likely, the pilot light has gone out, or the thermocouple has gone bad.

The advantage to fixing your stove, is that it's probably non-electric. So, when the power goes out you can still cook. Of course, most electric stoves, you can light the top burners with a match.

Sounds like you've chosen to go with a new stove. Hope that works well, for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Toaster oven may be available at a garage sale. I too have too many pots but the big frypans fit there nicely:-))

Reply to
LouB