garage door lubrication

What is the best type of lubricant to use on a metal garage door? I'm referring to the rollers and other moving parts, and possibly the rollup spring.

If I'm not mistaken, you should not lubricate the roller tracks.

Should I use WD40? I also have some silicone lubricant in a spray can that I could use.

Thanks.

Reply to
newman

Hi, WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a solvent cleaner. Springs I soak with just ordinary car engine oil. Soak a rag and rub them on when they are dry. I was told this will make springs last longer. Tracks I don't do anything. Screw drive I have, I use lubriplate very sparingly from now and then to keep it quiet.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

on 9/21/2007 9:45 AM newman said the following:

I use vasoline petroleum jelly.

Reply to
willshak

Ya, but we're talking about garage doors here.

:'P

Reply to
Noozer

on 9/21/2007 10:46 AM Noozer said the following:

I ran out of K-Y.

Reply to
willshak

The people who make PB Blaster make a nice product called GDL (Garage Door Lube).

Right.

Reply to
clifto

WD-40 is not a lube. Use motor oil and squirt some across the top of the springs once a year.

Reply to
Bob M.

NOT a lubricant

Thats the one

Reply to
Rudy

I hear it slides in easier that way, right ?

Reply to
Rudy

I'd try white lithium grease in a spray can. That, or there is spray lube made for chains and cables.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had to have a part replaced on my garage door opener about 2 years ago and asked the tech from Dalton what to use and he said silicone spray. I've been using the Permatex brand ever since and my door is quieter than when the house was brand new. I do this once ever 3 months on his recommendation.

Reply to
asmurff

What parts do you lube? Rollers? Tracks? Hinges?

Jean

Reply to
Jean