Furnace problem

Yep went through everything...

the controller does not supply voltage to the ignitor (except if furnace is left off for a few hours, then it sometimes works)

Don't want to risk repairing the control board, this being winter... as the furnace does work now if I light it manually.

Local supplier does not have the control module and it would be quite expensive. ($470 )

Since I was going to replace this 23 year old furnace this year anyway, might as well do it now.

Many folks here recommended Goodman, so I am having the local deal stop by and estimate the job in about 4 hours.

It it costs no more than two toilets I'll get it done.

(This summer a plumber told me it would be $2000 to replace a toilet that I replaced myself for $80)

Reply to
philo

Many years ago I used to repair control boards so I'm sure I could replace the relay...but...this being winter I'd hate to see what would happen if I screwed something up and took the furnace out completely.

Plus, since it's 23 years old, more than likely something else is going to go soon anyway...the exhaust motor is pretty discolored etc.

This is the year I was going to get a new furnace...so I'll just be a few months early

Reply to
philo

Hi, In winter time when the price is high, LOL! That's what happened to my old furnace. I had to stand beside furnace and lighting it up with BBQ lighter. Being week end I couldn't get new HSI any where in town. On Monday I got one from a service tech who charged like 90.00 for it. When summer came I had the furnace replaced. Good thing we have two NG FP in the house. It was good help. Now I stock spare HSI. Hope you find a GOOD installer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Even though it's winter and I am sure I'll be paying more, at least it's not a total emergency. Since the owner of the firm I called answered the phone himself on the first ring...I'm guessing that even though it's winter, he may not be that busy.

Good thing I have a few of those BBQ lighters here.

Now I realize I have another question.

Since I expect to be moving up to a high-efficiency furnace that won't need the chimney...I still will have a gas water heater that /does/ use the chimney.

I was told by a friend that without a furnace, the water heater won't exhaust properly since the chimney has no liner. ( That did not make complete sense as the water heater and furnace would not necessarily operate at the same time)

Do you or anyone else know if that's true?

If so, I may just end up getting an electric water heater and completely eliminate the chimney.

Reply to
philo

I've been using mine for 20 yrs as you describe...WH is in the chimney by itself.

Reply to
bob_villa

No liner in the chimney?

If it will work as-is...one less thing I will have to deal with this weekend.

Reply to
philo

I replaced my old Ruud with a new Rheem. Very happy with both, they are made by the same company. The Ruud went 27 years, only needed to add a hard-start kit to the AC. Rheem's been in 3 years now, 93%, two stage, variable speed blower. Really surprised at the fuel savings, probably 40%+. I was expecting a decent improvement, but that was more than I hoped for. I'm really a fan of the two stage concept too. At full output, I can raise the temp 6F an hour. That lets me get the house back up quickly after being away. It runs at low stage when maintaining the temp, ie most of the time. Without two stage if you want a bigger furnace to be able to heat quickly, then it's not going to run as much as it should to move air around, etc when it's just maintaining.

Reply to
trader_4

Makes me wonder if some safety feature is resetting?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've found Trane, some times the parts are not easy or cheap to find. Part of thier trade mark, like Sears and the off spec parts.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard that about the chimney. it should be possible to pull a chimney liner, and that will work. I've done a bunch of those when I did HVAC.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I checked...I have an 8" double-walled chimney. When I bought the house the furnace was oil-fired and had a woodburner in a common stack (not code). T he WH was electric. I didn't use the woodburner. Now it's NG WH and furnace ...is your friend saying the cold draft in Winter is going to be a problem to overcome for the WH alone?

Reply to
bob_villa

Yes, that'd what he told me and the guy is a building inspector... however he did make that statement without seeing the setup here.

OTOH: When the heating contractor gets here within the next couple of hours, I'll ask him for an opinion...since he does this for a living he should know.

Reply to
philo

The old furnace is a two-stage and I really like that...it's not a high efficiency type (80% I think) so I imagine the when I go to one, the savings on gas will be appreciated.

Reply to
philo

Hi, In my case they had to upgrade WH for B vent and had the chimney lined with much smaller cap. Still WH vent thru chimney. Furnace has vent going outside side ways with little slope towards furnace to prevent standing water. fresh air intake is smaller pipe within the vent with a screen. It is 2 stage one but I notice 2nd stage comes on very seldom. Also I decided to use 16x25x5 filter replacing electronic cleaner. Electric WH recovery rate is slower so always need bigger size one but they seem to last longer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Our WH has Piezo lighter. Never had any draft problem, not even once.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The contractor told me that a liner for the water heater is recommended simply to keep the chimney from deteriorating...so I am not going to bother with that. The chimney is maybe 20 years old and I will replace the water heater (eventually) with a non-chimney type.

With my new furnace I opted for an Aprilaire filter which should be better than the piece of junk I have now.

Reply to
philo

When I did installs, we often put on whole house humidifiers for winter. I think that's excellent idea.

Flow through type, not rotating drum.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, newer WH have Piezo...how does that relate to anything here?

Reply to
bob_villa

Yes, a power vent is a better idea that electric...

Reply to
bob_villa

I have a little while to think this over.

Don't use much hot water in this house.

Reply to
philo