furnace BTU

I figured out a way to weigh her which involves me weighing myself first on my digital scale then stepping on the scale while holding her then subtracting the previous reading. Basically using me as the tare weight. My problem is that I'm often not steady enough on my feet to stand absolutely still on the scale which causes an error reading. The end of my thumb and her little paw is about the same size. Such a goofy little critter. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Doesn't the vet provide that info?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My big cat was about 18 lbs - the little one was about 6 1/2 at age 13

Reply to
clare

Reducing the orifice size just makes it run longer to even out temperature fluctuations. Still lots of heat going up the stack.

If you are in a cold climate, most anything over 30 years is wasting your money.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

making it run longer increases the efficiency maginally because it is not running cold as much of the time and more of the heat (percentage-wise) is being absorbed in the heat exchanger so less goes out the stack.

Reply to
clare

If I'm able to get her over there. I haven't gotten my van back yet to take her over there. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Might one of your neighbors have a kitchen scale of the right weight range? I've got a refrigerant scale that does zero to 75 pounds. No, I won't loan it to you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For Sandy he could almost use a postal scale

Reply to
clare

I haven't pursued getting a "modern" furnace because I have neighbors who h ave put in newer furnaces and have had all sorts of problems with them. As an electrical engineer, I love to try new technology, but I have to say tha t I will keep this furnace for as long as it holds out since there is nothi ng electronic to go wrong when there is are nearby lightning strikes or pow er surges, both of which have taken out neighbors furnaces more than once.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Dang, I just remembered that I have a fish scale and a luggage scale around somewhere. I'd have to put her in a pillowcase first because I don't have a harness for her but I do have a little pink collar for her. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

OK, I was able to weigh her because I managed to stand still on my digital bathroom scale and (drum roll please) she's 11.4lb. I had a real dog once and he was 80lb at 1 year old. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Maybe you could weight the van, and then weight the van with your dog inside, and take the difference.

Or if not, when a visitor comes over, he could hold the dog and stand on the scale.

Reply to
micky

Those cost a lot to feed, and when they're old or sick, they're hard to carry around.

Reply to
micky

I'd have though that an electrical engineer would have the solution for that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll give that my stamp of approval. Back in a lick.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I guess I'm either too lazy to go to the trouble to design a suitable prote ction circuit, or too cheap to consider spending some money, or, probably b oth. I just hate the way everything is thrown away because there is someth ing that maybe is better available.

I fix old "Italian style" Christmas tree light strings, adding a couple of sockets and bulbs to 50 light sets to convert them to 52 light sets. The 4 % drop in voltage doesn't dim the lights noticeably, and they don't burn ou t nearly as fast. Then I donate them to Goodwill, along with severaL spare bulbs for each set in a paper bag attached to the set. Easy to do if you understand about hot and neutral 120V circuits and use a handitester to fol low the hot lead to wherever there is a break. What can be confusing is wh ere a bulb is burned out, but the little shorting stub wound around the fil ament supports fails to close/burn through sufficiently to short out the la mp, but closes enough that the capacitance allows some 120V to leak thru, j ust enough that the handitester responds, but with a noticeably weaker resp onse than full on or full off. Those defects can take twice as long to fin d and fix. Good to do on a rainy or snowy January day.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Wow. That's very interesting. I don't want to lose a control board to lightning or surges. They're at least 500 dollars by now, probalby

7 or 800.

My 34 year old oil furnace does have a few electronic parts, that is, one circuit board with maybe 30 parts iirc (last looked at 10 years ago at least) including 1 or 2 transistors iirc, or even maybe a little IC.

I had trouble with the mechanical relay on it for a while, but for some reason that stopped giving me trouble 20 years ago and has worked fine ever since.

And a month after I bought the house, when it was 4 years old, when I had 4 friends visiting from NYC on July 4 weekend. the AC failed becaue the 110 volt tranformer that powered the circuit board broke. The guy at the supply house wanted to sell me a new circuit board for

350 or 400 dollars, but I whined and he sold me a transformer instead for 10 dollars. Still working 30 years later. Transformer is too big to go where the old one did, as part of the circuit board, but that's not a problem

(Moved in middle of May The AC broke at noon on Saturday, July 4. The water went out at 6PM on Saturday, and all the electricity failed at noon on Sunday! Hard to believe. I've never lost more than one of these in any 3 month period since.

Reply to
micky

He did and he said what it was. Keep the old one going as long as possible. The new electronic controllers violate the KISS principle of reliability. Mark

Reply to
makolber

Makes no sense. I replaced a 33 year old oil burner and save about $900 a year in oil costs. I've done that for the past three years now. So, for fear of losing a $500 board you think I should spend an extra $900 a year? The boys at Mobile/Exxon thank you for the business.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski