furnace BTU

Even Carrier can't repeal the laws of physics. The only thing they

And in oil furnaces, Performance 80 ranges they say gp from 85.7 to

All the old octopus furnaces I've ever seen were former coal burners converted to natural gas. Here in Alabamastan, coal has always been plentiful. The city of Birmingham is young compared to other cities but it's been around since the mid 19th century when everything ran on coal plus, Birmingham was "The Steel City" with a lot of steel mills. During that era, coal was everywhere and the infrastructure for coal distribution was well established. If I remember right, folks even had coal fired stoves for cooking. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Those octopus furnae used to terrify me. Could not stand the sight of one. Just some primal fear.

I got to help take out one, when I was adult. It had about 500 pounds of sand on top, for thermal mass. We scooped it off with a shovel, and took out to the back yard in bags and buckets. The new furnace saved a lot of fuel money.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The old furnace may be a good thing to have when TSHTF because it is so simple and just works. Coal may be easier to obtain when the infrastructure for petroleum and natural gas is destroyed. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's like saying Ford can't spec the output horsepower of the engines on the cars they make, yet obviously they do. I just looked up the spec sheet for the Rheem gas furnace I have and they do spec both input and output. If you think about it, how could they spec that it's 93% efficient, that it meets govt standards etc, if they can't determine how much heat comes out, only how much goes in? All kinds of systems are spec'd for a variety of parameters, but of course if the system isn't installed properly, maintained properly, is old etc, then those spec;s aren't going to be met. That wasn't the issue. The issue was whether manufacturers spec furnaces on input or output. Clearly many in fact do both.

Just admit it, once again, you're wrong krw and Micky is right.

Reply to
trader4

Fuels are regional. My part of the world has more firewood. W. Virginia has more coal. Still, simple is good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a 55 year old natural gas fired hot air furnace. Just a giant tin c an with a flame in the can and air blowing around it. When we first bought the house 45 years ago, I redid the insulation in walls and attic. I notic ed that the furnace was fired up only about 30% of the time even on subzero days. I took the orifice outof the gas nozzle, filled it in with solder, and then redrilled the nozzle so the cross-sectional area was 1/2 of what i t had previously been. The flame was greatly reduced, of course, and I had to rebalance the gas - air flow using the adjuster that was part of the no zzle assembly. The furnace now does run longer, but my gas consumption bas ed on degree days is much lower than it used to be.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Think of the old simple cars people are trashing. An EMP will make all the vehicles with engine control computers, even modern diesels, useless so the only thing that will run will be things like that old 57 Ford pickup under all that junk in the barn. Simple is good in some hopeless situations. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The house I first lived in had a coal furnace when my father bought it in 1945. (No he wasn't a returning vet. He had served in WWI.)

Soon after that, he put in a stoker, so my mother wouldn't have to shovel coal in the middle of the day. He would do it before leaving for work, and the stoker would add a little bit of coal all day long.

Soon after that, HE got tired of shovelling coal (at age 53) and he had put in a gas furnace It has a big fan, I'm sure, to circulate the air to a 2-story plus basement** house. And because I was a newborn in 1947, he had put in another fan in the duct that went to my room, so it was always warm. Born in January, didn't get a bath with water until April, so I wouldn't get chilled. Oil was used, baby oil or maybe olive oil!

**Unfinished basement. In fact water came up through the drain in the middle of the big room, whenever it rained much. So there was nothing in the big room. The washer and dryer had to be put on wood boxes, and the furnace rusted quite a bit at the floor.

There was still an iron coal chute door one could see from the outside, but I don't think there was any coal or even a coal chute anymore. Although there was a corner of the basement I never went to. Maybe it was full of coal, now that you mention it. Was it harder to get coal out of a basement than to suck heating oil out of a tank?

Reply to
micky

Much as I hate to admit it, Baltimore is probably not the NE.

I had a gas stove in my apartment in Brooklyn, but here I have no gas at all. It's avaible 150 yards from here, but the builder didn't pay to run the pipe to this n'hood. Even though it was the same builder!

At least I don't have to worry about a gas explosion from the n'bors (or me).

Reply to
micky

After the government takes all the guns, I've still got my claw hammer. And my old bicycle that I rode in high school.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In that case, how would we have 4,000 gas explosions a year, if you didn't help with the numbers? You aren't doing your fair share.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

A ball-peen hammer works better for self defense. I have several hammers but I wish I could still ride a bicycle or even walk without pain and wobbling. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I also wish it for you. You're too valuable to just fade away in a hospice.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I thought I wrote that I was dropped from hospice care in October. My nurse told me I wasn't dying fast enough, in fact I wasn't declining at all but improving. I was sent home from the hospital to die but I'm too damned ornery. I even shipped back the 32 thousand dollar external defibrillator unit that I had been wearing. I still take a handful of pills twice a day. I can't take NSAIDS because of kidney problems so I must put up with painful swollen joints, chronic pain is a real drag. I do appreciate the good thoughts though. Now I'm worried about Sandy because she has a skin problem. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Only the good die young, so you should be with us for a while yet

Reply to
clare

Thanks, the pain lets me know I'm alive and every 2 hours, Mr. Bladder will demonstrate that I can still walk. If I sleep 3 hours straight, I feel very lucky. After 2 hours I get rid of 300 to 400cc, after 3 hours at least 500cc. My record is 600cc because I was in a very deep sleep and Mr. Bladder had a hard(no pun)time waking me up. I hate drugs. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

My Dad went through 2 tough years with Multiple Myeloma along with prostrate problems - on dyalasis for part of the time and in constant pain from spinal compression fracture. He died at 84. Hang in there!!!

Reply to
clare

Sounds like you can benefit from a heat gain and loss survey, and a proprerly sized modern

90% efficiency furnace. That one has to be a bit inefficient.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes, you did write that the hospice expelled you, for bad behaviour. Aparently, you had about as much compatibility with Hospice as you do with parochial Catholic Schoolag.

You sent back the defib unit that the tax payers bought you? I bet they were shocked.

Hope the vet can help Sandy's skin problem. Dermo-Vet-Ologist? Vetroderm?

In NYS, we keep being subjected to commercials for something called Dinovite, or Dynovite. Food suppliment for dogs that helps with itching.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for good thoughts. I spent most of May in the hospital then the doctors sent me home to die and I was put into home hospice care. At

1:00am July first I woke up with breathing trouble thinking I had thrown up in my sleep and aspirated some vomit. So I went to the bathroom and coughed and coughed then back to sit on the bed and when my breathing got worse I yelled for my roommate to help me and hook up the oxygen cylinder which I had never used. The regulator wouldn't seal so high pressure oxygen spewed everywhere. That's when I told roommate to dial 911, by the time paramedics got there I was drowning in my own body fluids due to a sudden onset of pulmonary edema. In the emergency room, I told them they should stick in a catheter and start draining me. I couldn't lie down because it felt like I was drowning so they shot me full of Lasix, my kidneys kicked into overdrive and voluminous amounts of urine started draining through the catheter into a big bag. When I could breathe again I was sent to intensive care for a few days then to a regular room for another several days then home after 5 days in the hospital. I've spent more time in the hospital this year than I have in my whole life. I was dropped from hospice because I wasn't declining and my nurse would scold me for getting out and trying to work. I still live in pain but at least I know I'm not going to drop dead no matter how much certain Progressive Liberal Leftist Commiecrat Freaks wish for it to happen. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas