front door swings out.

The wind doesn't blow past the door frame?

TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

True, but I don't think they swing inward because of habit. In New England, the original habit was outswinging doors. Homes that still have them are grandfathered and require special permits to maintain them during any remodeling. I know that codes are left up to individual states, and that most states leave it up to local municipalities, but I would have to think that they swing in for a good reason. I know where I live, they won't let you have one that swings out.

Reply to
Michael O

Also.. If you notice... If you install a residential door using standard hinges so that it swings out... The hinge pins end up on the OUTSIDE of the door so that anyone could lift the door off the hinges and walk right in...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Let me offer a solution so as to keep this argument from ending up in a brawl. Just install saloon doors that swing both ways and forget about it.

Reply to
Brooks Gregory

My basement doors open to the outside with hinges fully accessable. A locksmith friend gave me a cool tip. Open the door. Drive a 3" screw into the jamb, one near/at a hinge, leaving a little more than 1/2" stub exposed. Cut off the head. Gently close the door, just enough so that the stub makes a mark on the door. Drill a hole slot (moving the drill back and forth) into the door where you see the mark. Repeat for the other hinges. A 10-minute job, costs less than a buck. A thief removing the hinge pins won't open the door. Slick, hugh?

Reply to
Phisherman

Really great tip! I have never even thought about that before... Thanks!!

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

As I remember that piece, you are correct. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker