From almost free to expensive

How to take something that is almost free and turn it into something expensive:

micky

Cheap enough per blade, but I only use about one blade a month. Too much for me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This reporter went upscale. He went to Dollar Shave's supplier and paid $28.66 for what would have cost $90 from Dollar Shave. Besides saving

68%, he avoided a recurring CC charge.

He says that, contrary to CC company policies, Dollar Shave bills for blades they can't ship.

In 1980, Esquire published an article about razor blades. An engineer in the industry said the Bic blade was as good as the cartridge blades that cost a lot more.

Years ago, to get more Vitamin A, I began eating more cooked vegetables with carotene and serving them in meals with fat, such as butter.

Improved shaving was an unexpected benefit. I got cleaner shaves with ease, and I could be careless without cutting my face.

Reply to
J Burns

And the postage.

???

I was in the store yesterday and they sold razors with 5 blades each, count 'em.

I'm working with an engineer friend and we're going to market a razor with 37 blades. It will give a very smooth shave, much better than 1,

2, 3, or 5.

?? Your whiskers are softer? That might well make the shave cleaner.

But is your skin harder? What makes it less likely that you'll cut your face?

Reply to
micky

Does Dollar Shave add postage? The $28.66 order from the supplier included free shipping.

The article says Dollar Shave apologized for being backlogged on thousands of orders for which they'd charged customers. When the reporter asked the CEO, the CEO said the charge was for holding the customer's place in line.

I used to use two. After I started paying attention to Vitamin A, I found that one blade worked fine.

I used to wash, then soak with lather to avoid razor pull. Now I just wash. I don't think my whiskers are softer. I think my skin holds them up better, so they don't elude the blade.

It doesn't seem harder. Maybe it's thicker and more elastic. A function of skin is to resist cutting and scraping. Vitamin A helps skin function better.

Reply to
J Burns

About 35 years ago Saturday Night Live did a thing on this, making the joke that if 2 blades are good, 3 are better and they managed to get up to 4 or 5. Who knew how prescient they were ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

I remember the 14-blade version. It would shave so close it caused brain damage.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd