Fridgidaire Refrigerator troubleshooting

I think this is an easy problem to fix. Refrigerator is about 20 years old, top freezer model, standard type refrigerator/freezer. This summer, we have started to regularly get a buildup of water forming in the very bottom of the refrigerator, in a little depressed area under the crisper drawers. You have to take out the crisper drawers to see it.

The problem is, the water collected is so much that it is dripping out of the refrigerator (through the door seal I suspect) onto the kitchen floor.

Could it be that it's been such a hot, humid summer in NY this year that's causing this?

There is a selector switch in the refrigerator that says Electri-saver and your choice for the switch is Hi or Lo humidity. It's been on high. I just switched it to low to see if it makes a difference.

Could this simply be that the air is so humid this year and we open the refrigerator so many times a day that it is simply humidity forming on the sides of the inside of the refrigerator that eventually drip into this bottom pan?

Thanks.

Reply to
Big Daddy

This is Turtle.

You have a drain hose or drain cup plugged up and you need to clean ouit the freezer coil drain line cleaned out to not let it spill in the bottom of the refrigerator. I have a picture to look at on the cup being gotten to by way of the refrigerator area or cooling ares if it is a whirlpool / Roper .

The picture is self explaining in it's self.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

There is a pan under the frig where the water is supposed to drain to. The drain tube is clogged. John

Reply to
JohnR66

That is the frost water that has been defrosted and should be going to a pan under your frig to evaporate. Look around and you will see a hole where it should be going. Clean out that hole and it should be OK. Be sure to clean up most of the water first or it may end up on the floor as it may now be too much for the pan to hold.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

As the other posters have written, there should be a drain tube that goes from the back of the freezer down to the pan under the fridge. What the others didn't mention is that very often the top of the tube is in the back of the freezer section. and you have to take everything out of the freezer and disassemble the back of the freezer to get at the drain.

What part of NY? I'm near Rochester. And have fixed a lot of refrigerators.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon