Fridge/freezer stat

My new LG fridge freezer has a dial which reads "C . . . N . . . W", which I assume is cold to normal to warm. But on both ends I can turn it a long way past the C or the W to an area just labelled "no using in this range". WTF is all that about? Why have a dial which I can turn to where I shouldn't? The manual says only "other positions will affect the storage of food".

Reply to
Undersized hippopotamus

Wonder what the owner's manul says about it ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

As I said, the manual says only "other positions will affect the storage of food".

Reply to
Undersized hippopotamus

Those positions are to keep clueless people like you occupied.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 posted for all of us...

HAAAA

Reply to
Tekkie®

By now you would have had your answer if you either checked the user's manual or called the customer service # that must be available either in the manual or on line. Also, why not try the following experiment - turn the dial all the way to "C". When the compressor stops running, turn it further past the "C" and see if the compressor comes on again. The dial label might just be a guide as to which direction to turn the dial, not a "don't go past this point" indicator. If I had that refrigerator, I'd be happy for the label, because my experience would lead me to assume that the positions to the left would be warmer and those to the right would be colder. (Maybe the engineers who designed this unit come from a country where the language is read right to left?)

Reply to
Peter

As I already said, the manual simply says "other positions will affect the storage of food". Why don't you read posts before replying?

Can't be bothered. It should be in the manual.

I've found that dials on fridges and freezers seem to have a strangely large hysteresis compared to the range of the dial, and I've never found one that I can make go on and off. May also be a limiter to stop the compressor starting and stopping too frequently, as they don't like that.

No, it actually says "don't go past this point" on the dial, as I already told you.

But why allow me to turn the dial further than I should?

[Newsgroup line repaired after you altered it for no reason]
Reply to
Undersized hippopotamus

Those "other positions" will make the unit run more reliably, depriving repair people of the chance to overcharge you :-)

Reply to
hah