French drain questions

On Sun 10 Feb 2008 02:25:39a, SteveB told us...

Use the pipe. We had several French drains run before isntalling a very large flagstone patio. In over 20 years we've never had a problem. You described construction sounds perfect.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I'm getting ready to put in French drains in several areas. If I have this correct, you just dig a ditch to grade away from where you want the water to drain from. You line the ditch with porous landscaping cloth. Put some gravel in there. Put a perforated pipe in there. Fill with gravel.

Correct?

Any problems with putting leveling sand on top of that with pavers? Any need to put those clean out boxes on there?

Looks simple enough, but don't want to make basic mistakes and have to dig it up. Is the piping necessary? It's cheap, or does the gravel channel do the same thing? Or does the pipe keep a larger opening?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve, don't forget to lap the 'landscape cloth' over the top of the gravel. That keeps dirt from filtering into it and clogging gravel and pipe. Contractor friend who does a lot of this places pipe perferations on bottom of pipe also to keep dirt out. T

Reply to
tbasc

what are you trying to accomplish? dry a low area of lawn? dry up your basement? dry up a crawl space?

if your trying to dry up your basement the interior french drains work better and are more effective.

as I once found out you can re slope the lawn, install new gutters, downspouts, and drain lines. and STILL have a wet basement.

for french drains to be effective they must be below the level of the footer.

been there done that:(

Reply to
hallerb

if your putting down any sort of permanent surface you must backfill with gravel only, some leveling sand is ok.

dirt takes at least 7 years to settle, so a new pation will be moving for years

Reply to
hallerb

For the fabric (CHRISTY?S. ?. DRAIN-EEZ. ?. PERFORATED PIPE SLEEVING SOCK - 3.1 oz. Drain-Eez. ?. encases drain pipe and prevents small particle/ soil drain system ... 100' long.

Pics from Hendersen, NV basement recently.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

the sleeve sounds great but will clog way faster than a large fabric filter surrounding a pipe with gravel

Reply to
hallerb