Freezer runs too cold

diagram:

>>> owner's manual:
>> Fully defrost it, this is a very common problem, both with freezers

Interesting. I do keep the sensor of the thermometer near the top.

I don't know whether it is practical to check or fill the freon.

Reply to
Matt

diagram:

Good question. The freezer is very quiet in a somewhat noisy room, so it isn't easy to hear. I guess I can tell by reaching behind and touching the compressor, checking for vibration. I will try to answer.

Reply to
Matt

Could it be that this part (#13 in the parts list given in the link above) isn't sensing the temperature correctly or has its contacts welded shut?

I don't think replacing it requires getting into the sealed section, and its thin metal tube probably just wraps around a copper tube or sticks into a pipe full of grease.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

It isn't frost on the inside, it is frost where the temperature sensing element is located!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

diagram:

Yes.

I have checked it maybe 15 times since you asked, and it seems that it has been running every time. As I mentioned, it is a very quiet freezer in a somewhat noisy room, so it is not easy to hear. But when I reach behind and touch around the compressor, I can feel vibration and hot and cold.

Only by turning it to 'off', it seems.

Reply to
Matt

diagram:

Okay, I defrosted it a couple days ago. The frost melted down to probably only about a half gallon.

But it did not help. It is running about -27 F now.

What did you mean in your other post about frost being near the temp sensor?

Reply to
Matt

or?- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like the thermostat is broken. It might be mechanical in which case you can take it out and examine it.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

GE distributed manuals with most of its freezers, perhaps all. The manual for GE's current 19 cu.ft. suggests max. operating temperature is 23 Fahr. i.e. several degrees below

0 Celsius. When interior temp. rises to 23F an alarm light switches on. Your model is likely to be similar.
Reply to
Don Phillipson