Foundation repair

I have several cracks through the foundation, the foundation is still under warrenty from the builder. They sent a engineer from a foundation repair company to evaluate the foundation. They made several recommendations including pressure sealing the cracks and because I have a post tension foundation they recommended checking the tension on the foundation and tightening it if it needs it. My concern is how good of a repair is just sealing and tightening the cables? I am afraid of this working until the warrenty is out and then I am stuck with a $10,000 repair bill when it could have been fix correctly the first time. Does anyone know anything about this type of correction and the life of the correction as opposed to other types of repairs.

thanks,

Jeremy

Reply to
Distancevector

Who's the builder? God help you if it is KB. I had a really bad experience with them.

Hire your own engineer and have him give you an report. What ever it costs it is piece of mind. Call the AHJ and ask for an inspection. (authority having jurisdiction) Make a big deal out of this because it is. Better start talking to you neighbors and HOA.

I have never seen post tension on a home before. Around here they are pouring homes with an minimal footing and lots of rebar in the floor. There are also some medallions that I have seen on models that say you can not drill anchors in this area.

Reply to
SQLit

Post tension is very popular down here in Central Texas for homes..I think because we have a high amount of expansive soil here and so much rain. they seem to work well but I was not aware you could "re tighten" it..I have had the "pleasure" of foundation repairs..What a frigging nightmare..They installed 22 piers under my slab foundation then used a giant hydraulic pump to raise it up..The repair worked well but was very expensive..It was an older house with old technology I guess..But I would check some other sources on what they say should be done. Don't let the builders "buddy" short you..You paid a lot of money for that I am sure..It would give you some piece of mind to have someone of your choice look at it even if you have to pay for it.. Hope this helps. John

Reply to
John