Flourescent light problem

Have you tried a new bulb yet?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

In my bedroom I have a standard 12" flourescent light. During warm and mild weather it works normally. During cold weather, when I turn it on, it glows dimly but won't light until I turn the switch off and on a few times. When I get up in the morning it lights normally. After that it acts up all day. ??????

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

Reply to
J.D.

I do believe that there are lamps designed for cold weather.

Reply to
franz frippl

It has nothing to do with the lamps....its the ballast that doesn't like cold. Change to a fixture with electronic ballast and T-8 lamps.

Reply to
curmudgeon

That's how I fixed one that an electrician couldn't fix, even after replacing the switch.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Since a traditional magnetic ballast is is just a transformer/inductor, I'd like to hear why you believe that cold affects their performance.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

The tube is cold, resulting in lower vapour pressure, making it harder to start.

Electronic ballasts can get around this by putting more power into the tube when it's being started, then easing off once the tube hits normal operating condition.

As you say, magnetic ballasts are pretty basic, so they can't vary their output.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

like to hear why you

when it's being

Actually there are special magnetic ballasts made for low-temperature operation. Google "low temperature ballast" (with the quotes) and you'll get a ton of information.

Eric Law

Reply to
Eric