Flooded basement need laundry tips

Ok, so i neglect a vacant house all winter and guess what? The sumps fail. So now i have many sterlite tubs full of clothes (that my wife would prefer to salvage some of) that smell like stagnant water. I've kept everything wet, still in the tubs, but even after regular washing they still smell. (duh). What's gonna be a good procedure to salvage some of the more important items without a smell?

thanks!

Reply to
Steve Barker

First thought is anything that is bleachable, wash it using that. And air drying outside for a couple days could help.

Reply to
trader4

noted, and THANKS!

Reply to
Steve Barker

A Febreze spray might help; it seems to work on many stubborn smelly things. Even gym sox.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Try adding Borax in a wash. I've used 20muleteam brand.

Reply to
paulaner